Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing wireless Netgear N300 USB adapter

Beans

installing wireless Netgear N300 USB adapter

I am trying to install a Netgear N300 Wireless USB Adapter on my UBUNTU desktop.
    I have a Windows PC (using for this message) running wireless. I have no eathernet cable connection where I live.
    sudo lshw -C network ...shows the device ... <Bus001 Device 002 ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc.>
    If the answer is real complicated can you recommend a wireless USB adapter that will work right out of the box?
    ..... Don Green

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: installing wireless Netgear N300 USB adapter

Hello,

this is a Broadcom-USB-device. It only works with Ndiswrapper. You may install the packages ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, and ndisgtk from CD/DVD, or download them from http://packages.ubuntu.com for 32 or 64bit. The driver is attached.

More here

Start ndisgtk with:

Code:
    gksu ndisgtk
    and install the needed driver (.INF) for 32 or 64 bit.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Thanx praseodym, worked fine for me.

/ Anfanglir

Beans

Just tried this, and installing the driver works. The dongle picks up my wifi router, but will not connect. It keeps asking for my encryption key, which I have put in, but it will not connect. Is this a problem anyone has seen before?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tenorman View Post
    Just tried this, and installing the driver works. The dongle picks up my wifi router, but will not connect. It keeps asking for my encryption key, which I have put in, but it will not connect. Is this a problem anyone has seen before?
    Also i had the same problem, i was requested encryption key during negotiation, but it was not accepted and i didn't get connection. I solved it changing speed of wireless router from 300 Mb to 54 Mb with protection WPA2-PSK [AES], the one that should work for 150 and 300 speed, but in my experience not for linux ndiswrapper. I hope to find a workaround in future for a better speed also in linux.
    hope this helps
    stefano

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, but I am very new to Linux/Ubuntu. Does anyone know how to install these packages and also install a driver?

I also am having difficulty finding the mentioned packages (in my CD file/on my USB). Is there anything I need to know in order to find them on my boot-USB (I have the Ubuntu Install package on a USB)?

I also tried searching the packages on the directory, I did find one there, but it said I needed a special program to best install all of the included files, but when I went to that installer program it also did not have clear documentation for how to install or use that.

I am willing to learn-- but am also curious tom know if there is a very minimal download-and-click option for this.

**If not-- I am happy to learn the Linux procedures.

I have Linux 11.10

Sincere thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Hello,

this is a Broadcom-USB-device. It only works with Ndiswrapper. You may install the packages ndiswrapper-common, ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, and ndisgtk from CD/DVD, or download them from http://packages.ubuntu.com for 32 or 64bit. The driver is attached.

More here

Start ndisgtk with:

Code:
    gksu ndisgtk
    Last edited by Maud Dib; January 16th, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Beans

great instructions and it worked great for me. once i logged out of my profile and restarted it wasn't recognizing the usb adapter so i had to re-install the driver and it worked fine. shut down the computer again to see if it would have the same problem and it again didn't recognize the adapter. any help so i don't have to re-install the driver every time?

Beans

I too have this same problem, i.e. not using the driver after reboot, on 11.10. I have to uninstall/reinstall the driver for it to work. On other computers I have installed the latest version of Zorin OS and using these instructions and it works flawlessly everytime. At least those my clients computers and not my own. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and so far that's the only one I have trouble with.

Any suggestions.
    D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Hello,

More here

Start ndisgtk with:

Code:
    gksu ndisgtk
    I tried this and it still isnt doing anything, I have, "bcmwlhigh5" and "bcmn43xx32" installed with WND I think, but when I unplug my ethernet, it says nothing. And running the Auto-run.exe with Wine just keeps telling me to put it into my computer again and again without recgonising it. Any ideas? I've been working on this for over an hour and its is getting very frustrating.

Beans

i installed the ndis wrapper package, but when i try to run the driver, it says i do not have ndis wrapper installed. Help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast