ranger (File manager)
    vifm (File manager)
    htop
    wget
    pacman
    apt-get
    git
    rtorrent
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Favorite terminal GUI applications

This thread is called terminal GUI applications, as in, the ones that have an actual graphical text intefrace (with ncurses or another terminal interface library), not generic terminal CLI applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    This thread is called terminal GUI applications, as in, the ones that have an actual graphical text intefrace (with ncurses or another terminal interface library), not generic terminal CLI applications.
    That would be a TUI.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Beans

emacs
    elinks
    mc

Beans

Don't really use many that would be "terminal GUI", but yaourt (a wrapper around pacman with AUR support and some other stuff) sorta counts. The way it displays it's ouput is slightly interactive and is colorful, close enough for me. I also use vim a lot, don't know if that counts.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I don't understand the point of using a GUI made for a terminal when you could just use a GUI.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I don't understand the point of using a GUI made for a terminal when you could just use a GUI.
    It doesn't need X, you can use it over SSH, it doesn't require you to take your hands off the home row (if it's well written), you can use it with a green font while wearing shades and trench coat and pretend you're a matrix hacker.

But seriously, it's mostly a matter of personal preference. I, for example, see no need to load up a graphical application to edit text files, manage files/processes or packages. Graphical applications have their uses, but the windows "everything must be done with a shiny GUI" paradigm just doesn't make sense to me. In fact, web browsing and video viewing are pretty much the only computing tasks that I do regularly that legitimately require a graphical interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    They are more light weight, keyboard driven, faster and you still can filter the output with grep .
    Plus, you don't have to leave your terminal and you can run it in a separate terminal with screen.
    Last edited by cgroza; August 22nd, 2011 at 11:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cgroza View Post
    Plus, you don't have to leave your terminal and you can run it in a separate terminal with screen.
    ...or tmux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    It doesn't need X, you can use it over SSH,
    You can forward graphical applications through SSH

it doesn't require you to take your hands off the home row (if it's well written),
    There are graphical applications that don't require you to either (i.e. vimperator or whatever its called now)

you can use it with a green font while wearing shades and trench coat and pretend you're a matrix hacker.
    That's just creepy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast