Thread: How to save the Session while using Ubuntu on pendrive

Beans

How to save the Session while using Ubuntu on pendrive

Hi,

This is SaiChand.
    I haven't installed ubuntu but using it from my Pen drive. The major problem I am facing is I am not able to save my current session. For example I will download and install a couple of software like 'WINE', 'java plugin' and other useful software for me, but when I shutdown everything is lost and I get a new copy of OS on my next start-up

Please suggest me how to solve this problem.
    I can't install a copy ubuntu on my hard disk as I have only single partition on which windows is running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How to save the Session while using Ubuntu on pendrive

You need to make a persistent usb drive http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912...b-flash-drive/
    DUAL BOOT XP & Natty, Trying LFS

Beans

Hi Spiky,

Thanks for the reply, I have done in the same way, still I am not able to get the things done. I get a new copy of OS every time I switch on my machine.

I am using a 8GB pendrive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

Hi Raja,

I am not running from CD I am using a pendrive.

My problem is I am able boot the computer from pendrive and use ubuntu I am also able to use the files in other hard drives, install applications but everything resets to new once I re-start my computer. I want to save any programs I installed and keep all the changes i have done earlier.
    How can I do it ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi spiky001 actually gave you what you are looking for.

My suggestion to you is boot into Windows and then using the link posted earlier by spiky001 for guidance re-create the LiveUSB pen-drive with a persistence file. They are really simple steps to follow and they work.

My 8GB pen-drive has Maverick Meercat on it with extra settings and programs in a persistence file plus a partition to store other personal files to copy to other computers.