Thread: HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

Hi All,

Just some notes for those who would buy this multi-functional printer & scanner & fax machine and wants to use it on Linux.

I have been using this printer for a while and I think that the Linux support of this printer is pretty good.

I am using this MFD as a shared network resource, so it is not connected with USB cable to any computers, it is a standalone, network capable unit.

You need to install the HPLIP driver and software suite (http://hplipopensource.com) in order to use this printer properly since the basic Linux support is only for printing over USB and nothing else.

The features
    - Printing seems to be working well over the network. Fast and stable.
    - Printing works duplex as well (two-sided printing)
    - XSane scans properly over the network from both the Flatbed and the ADF feeders (Automatic Document Feeder).
    - When scanning multiple pages from ADF, XSane reports the number of scanned pages incorrectly (always reports 0) but this doesn't seem to cause any trouble since all pages arrive correctly in the batch

HPLIP installed the fax driver as well (looks like a second printer installed) but I don't use it for faxing so don't really know how well it works.

I have already used the printing features over a direct USB connection and seemed to work properly.

All in all, I am impressed with the level of Linux support HP provides. Way to go HP !!!
    Last edited by sola; November 12th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

Thank you for your concise, helpful review. It was useful in helping me to determine which printer to buy for our multi-OS office.
    Em Hotep
    Registered Linux user # 498092
    Registered Ubuntu user # 30550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf on Ubuntu Karmic 9.10

Thanks.

I have been extended the original post to a small extent in order to reflect the experiences I have gathered (still very positive).