Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you secure your bicycle(if you have one)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How do you secure your bicycle(if you have one)?

I'm currently using 2 key cable locks without steel jacket, but I'll have to get myself something better, such as a U-lock and/or a scooter chain lock or a steel-jacketed chain, which are said to be more secure. I typically lock the front wheel to the frame to an immovable object, or lock a wheel to an immovable object and use the other lock to secure that wheel to the frame.
    Yet all bike locks are vulnerable if the thief has a power tool. An angle grinder can cut any type of bicycle lock.

Last edited by PCaddicted; August 19th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How do you secure your bicycle(if you have one)?

I don't have a bike, but a few of my friends who have them say that as long as a bike next to yours has a weaker chain/lock, yours will be safe.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I once had a decent 10-speed. In the middle of the night, even though it was locked up, someone beat the wheels into pretzels and bent the fork. I straightened the wheels by hand and the fork. I spray painted the bike a hideous purple (and I do mean everything) and rode the bike for another five years. It was never touched again. I could leave it unlocked or minimally locked. The best way to secure your bike, if you can bring yourself to do it, is to ruin it with a perfectly hideous paint job. Make it look like a third hand piece of trash.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; August 19th, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The best one I have used is a rolling joint lock. It's made from segments of big thick steel joined togeter by joints but all the segments are able to freely rotates which means trying to saw through them is incredibly difficult as the saw will simply slip off when they rotate. I dare say a chainsaw could probably get through it but it would take them longer and I can't see many thieves in city centres using a chainsaw...awful lot of attention you'll draw to yourself. Other than that I agree with the other 2 points..If you can, get a bike which doesn't look too special and definitely where you can, park up next to a bike which either looks better than yours does or has a weaker lock. Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just with a simple lock that blocks the rear wheel. And I try to 'park' it in safe places with some surveillance if possible. Also it may help to just buy a cheap, unattractive old n-th hand bike (wIth n >= 2) so it will not catch the attention of thieves.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PCaddicted View Post
    I'm currently using 2 key cable locks without steel jacket, but I'll have to get myself something better, such as a U-lock and/or a scooter chain lock or a steel-jacketed chain, which are said to be more secure. I typically lock the front wheel to the frame to an immovable object, or lock a wheel to an immovable object and use the other lock to secure that wheel to the frame.
    Yet all bike locks are vulnerable if the thief has a power tool. An angle grinder or a chainsaw can cut any type of bicycle lock.

I use a U-lock in combination with a cable, the U-lock
    key always gets jammed I would like to find a better lock solution.
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My bike is crap. It has a basket. I love it. I lock it with a two dollar cable lock that could probably be busted open with a frozen carrot.

Beans

I use a thick chainlock I got cheap because if someone wants the bike there is no stopping them. Best defense is to have a bike that looks dirty and worthless.

It's funny to see people that have thick expensive chainlocks that only go through the front wheel

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    My bike is crap. It has a basket. I love it. I lock it with a two dollar cable lock that could probably be busted open with a frozen carrot.

I can picture it now

http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/76081154.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast