Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clausoft Meenee Ubuntu laptop

Beans

Re: Clausoft Meenee Ubuntu laptop

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfelgate View Post
    Did you buy one? Did it work well with an SSD?
    (I am thinking of doing the same thing)
    Did you buy one? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. And btw, is its wireless card compatible with bactrack 5??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by discarded View Post
    And btw, is its wireless card compatible with bactrack 5??
    yes I have just tried backtrack 5R3 live session on a usb and it can connect ok - have just signed on into a wpa2 access point.

BTW boot choice of media on the meenee is F11 (Fn F9)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by candtalan View Post
    More information: HDMI
    Ubuntu 11.10 installed, and also tried 12.04.01 live session.
    For the first time I tried to use the hdmi mini connector, with a mini to standard adaptor, and a hdmi cable, and used our widescreen hd ready TV a
    Panasonic TX-L32S10B
    and unfortunately the external display did not work. The external display was recognised 16:9 and an error message appeared relating to a resolution not being possible for 3D. I also logged in to 2D (ubuntu 11.10) with no success for external display.

I was trying this for a friend, who would have needed an external display.

Any other experiences out there please?

Beans

More information: HDMI
    Ubuntu 11.10 installed, and also tried 12.04.01 live session.
    For the first time I tried to use the hdmi mini connector, with a mini to standard adaptor, and a hdmi cable, and used our widescreen hd ready TV a
    Panasonic TX-L32S10B
    and unfortunately the external display did not work. The external display was recognised 16:9 and an error message appeared relating to a resolution not being possible for 3D. I also logged in to 2D (ubuntu 11.10) with no success for external display.

I was trying this for a friend, who would have needed an external display.

Any other experiences out there please?
    Ah! Heads up!
    The output for external display is offered on a mini HDMI format socket, however, it looks to me as if it is in fact, still VGA (but wired through an alien connector). I had not realised that the facility *requires* a special cable adapter from Clausoft (aproximately 10 uk pounds). This adapter is cheap enough to suggest that a true conversion from hdmi to vga is not actually taking place, and the adapter looks to me like the connector ends are perfectly standard items, with no extra conversion chips inside.

The special adapter cable is a short cable, mini HDMI connector to VGA connector.
    I have tried it, it works ok as normal vga, for example to my wide screen television set.

Beans

I have installed ubuntu 12.04 onto my daughters meenee, and it is working well. Had some issues with the 10.10 it came installed with, just niggly things like backspace key sticking and sound not working properly, but they seem to be fixed by the upgrade. Just had cover replaced as hinge got broken, they were very helpful. I am keen to hear if somebody has replaced the hard drive with an SSD though, I imagine it would help battery life, general speed etc. as long as it works...

Beans

Hello, fellow meenee users.
    I got one of these a few weeks ago for £175 off eBay!
    In general, I love it. Nothing about it is 'premium', but it's like a thousand pounds cheaper than a Macbook.
    However, its trackpad is extremely irritating and so sensitive/erratic it makes typing tedious. I'm wondering if using an external mouse - meenee sell a Bluetooth mouse for a tenner - will automatically disable the trackpad and make my life easier?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ninorc View Post
    Hello, fellow meenee users.
    I got one of these a few weeks ago for £175 off eBay!
    In general, I love it. Nothing about it is 'premium', but it's like a thousand pounds cheaper than a Macbook.
    However, its trackpad is extremely irritating and so sensitive/erratic it makes typing tedious. I'm wondering if using an external mouse - meenee sell a Bluetooth mouse for a tenner - will automatically disable the trackpad and make my life easier?
    Hi, Note that the trackpad can/should be disabled by you, if you say intend to do typing Fn F2 keys (or use the mouse). It is not automatic in my unit.

In fact it was a long time before I noticed these keys, and IIRC I thought then as you do, too sensitive or something, any way I immediately reinstalled Ubuntu thinking a software problem. It is running 12.04 now, seems ok, sensitivity setting is low value, is ok. The other thing with touchpads, for me, is the 'tapping' being used as mouse clicks (I do not see an option for this in settings on this machine). (I usually want to turn tapping off). I have the early version, it reports as two CPU 1.66GHz x2 with atom N455 cpu. Later model I think is faster.
    Enjoy!

Beans

Hi, Note that the trackpad can/should be disabled by you, if you say intend to do typing Fn F2 keys (or use the mouse). It is not automatic in my unit.
    Ah ha! Thank you very much

Beans

Hello from a new User. I am a PGCE student and am thinking of buying a Meenee (with Ubuntu installed) so that I can use open office (Libreoffice) as presentations are really important. Reading back I see some issues with installing Ubuntu 11mand although I have Ubuntu on my falling apart laptop, I am not the best at resolving computer issues. Also I would like to know how many USB ports there are and if I can connect (and get a cable) so that I can connect to another screen? (thanks)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sam26 View Post
    Hello from a new User. I am a PGCE student and am thinking of buying a Meenee (with Ubuntu installed) so that I can use open office (Libreoffice) as presentations are really important. Reading back I see some issues with installing Ubuntu 11mand although I have Ubuntu on my falling apart laptop, I am not the best at resolving computer issues. Also I would like to know how many USB ports there are and if I can connect (and get a cable) so that I can connect to another screen? (thanks)
    The version of meenie I have is one of the first ones. Later models were a bit faster. As you see I think from my detailed earlier post/link, it is ok but not fast at all. Also the battery is not at all big. But I like it, it is a nice machine. USB is I think only one slot each side (left, right) external display: the connector which looks to be a mini HDMI format is a mini hdmi connector ok, BUT it does not output hdmi (!) it outputs vga. My guess is that the thin sleek case was just too small for a chunky traditional vga connector. It needs a special custom adapter cable - which is wired custom - with an apparent mini hdmi one end and a conventional vga the other end (buy from meenee). However, it works well. My (early) machine struggles with replay of full screen video.

hth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast