Thread: C++

Beans

Unhappy C++

I have started using the terminal to program C++ using the G++ editor, now the problem is in the "insert" mode when i press the arrow keys it starts to display A,B,C respectively. Also the back space is not working, what should I do????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: C++

With respect, why not use gEdit? It's installed by default. You can still use the g++ compiler; it's what I do.

I'm assuming you mean you use Vim or Emacs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I actually havent heard of a G++ editor.

Anyway you might want to try using an IDE or if you want to stick to CLI then use nano to edit your code and use g++ to compile. The new nano on ubuntu 11.04 even supports syntax highlighting.
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Neither had I, it was 'insert mode' which put me on to Vim or Emacs. Nano's just as good. Can you use 'less' as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When coding i prefer nano because of the syntax highlighting and you dont need to know any key combos to navigate through it.
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you use the arrow keys in vim, you are really missing the point of using vim.
    Vim has more powerful navigation features that should not be ignored.
    Vim should have no problem with the arrow keys, maybe the problems comes from your terminal. What terminal program do you use?

You may want to take a look at emacs too, great support for C languages. You should consider both before mastering one.

Now, learning Vim and C++ in the same time a bit too much to handle, so I recommend a more simple GUI editor such as Geany.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

Hello
    Open a terminal and do
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get install vim 
    ...and the problem is gone It's the 'vi' compatible mod of vim, that is installed by default on Ubuntu and...
    "Release early, release often"
    Last edited by mimiteto; August 16th, 2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Missed the quotation marks :D

Beans

i use vim, and i used geany, it seems to be pretty good, lets see. Thanks a lot for all the help.