Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems with 64 bit Oracle VM Virtual Box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Problems with 64 bit Oracle VM Virtual Box

First of all, sorry it is taking me long time to reply, but my internet is killing me today, here is the screen dump you asked for:

Don't ask why my desktop looks that way, I'm working on it, LOL!

And when you say that it depends on my BIOS, and I am pretty sure that the virtualization option is not available in my BIOS, can i change it!? (And btw, I have a Toshiba satellite A505 laptop, and I usually download some stuff from the Toshiba website after I format my computer which is something that I do on regular basis, and one of the things that I download is a tool which allows me to update my BIOS, my version is 1.8, and I am sure it is the latest, but if there is any way that I can change my BIOS without any damage, I will sure do it.)

Sorry this was long, and thanks for reading it all!

Beans

you will need to look at your BIOS to see. I did a quick google on your model and found people asking same question, some say the option is in there and others are saying it isnt.

I will leave you to find that out.

If the option is in your bios to enable hardware virtualisation (VT) then enable it and you cna run 64 Bit OS as guests.

IF you cant enable it then not much you can do as far as i know

see here

http://forums.computers.toshiba-euro...threadID=18827

old thread but will give you an idea of what i am talking about without me having to type too much
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    you will need to look at your BIOS to see. I did a quick google on your model and found people asking same question, some say the option is in there and others are saying it isnt.

I will leave you to find that out.

If the option is in your bios to enable hardware virtualisation (VT) then enable it and you cna run 64 Bit OS as guests.

IF you cant enable it then not much you can do as far as i know

see here

http://forums.computers.toshiba-euro...threadID=18827

old thread but will give you an idea of what i am talking about without me having to type too much
    OK, thanks a lot my friend, you have been a great help for me, and hope you will still be, as for the VT option, I am absolutely sure it is not in BIOS, my BIOS is really simple compared to others, and although it have very few options, I have once spent more than half an hour looking for the VT option in it, and yet did not find it! (I wanted to try Ubuntu before I installed it on VMware, but it did not work, so I had to download the 32 bit version just to test it out, and with my 256k Internet connection, it took around 8 hours, hope I will not have to do the same with Windows!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the-new-x View Post
    OK, thanks a lot my friend, you have been a great help for me, and hope you will still be, as for the VT option, I am absolutely sure it is not in BIOS, my BIOS is really simple compared to others, and although it have very few options, I have once spent more than half an hour looking for the VT option in it, and yet did not find it! (I wanted to try Ubuntu before I installed it on VMware, but it did not work, so I had to download the 32 bit version just to test it out, and with my 256k Internet connection, it took around 8 hours, hope I will not have to do the same with Windows!)
    no problem.

try updating your BIOS to latest version.

You may get the option

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    no problem.

try updating your BIOS to latest version.

You may get the option
    It is in the latest version, I have updated the BIOS around 10-15 days ago, and for a relatively old computer model like mine (I bought it 2 years ago), I don't guess another update is out, thanks anyways, and perhaps it is time to start saving and get a new laptop, I'm thinking of Toshiba Qosmio, or maybe a Dell laptop, I've been hearing they are better than Toshiba, but who knows!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Virtualization.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Yeah ive already told him he needs to enable hardware virtualisation VT support, and if it is greyed out for him so he needs to enable it in his bios which he cant

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    I have already read the contents of that link, and from where I am standing right now, it looks like the only solution is to start saving for a new laptop, sometime you just can't wait to finish school, then college, and then become rich to own the best hardware there is!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by the-new-x View Post
    It is in the latest version, I have updated the BIOS around 10-15 days ago, and for a relatively old computer model like mine (I bought it 2 years ago), I don't guess another update is out, thanks anyways, and perhaps it is time to start saving and get a new laptop, I'm thinking of Toshiba Qosmio, or maybe a Dell laptop, I've been hearing they are better than Toshiba, but who knows!
    I'm having similar troubles installing 64bit Windows OS'es under VirtualBox 4.1.2 (but it runs 32bit virtual machines quite well- possibly some sound issues but that's not a huge problem for me).

My Phoenix 4.0 BIOS (Hewlett Packard F.34 version, 3/22/2011) was just upgraded yesterday (but the older F.32 BIOS also showed a Virtualization Technology "Enabled" setting). The F.34 BIOS still seems to throw the same Win7 "64bit" error under either VirtualBox or QEMU.

I did just discover that there seems to be a conflict with the KVM Kernel Extension (which I will apparently need to remove from my Linux kernel to get VirtualBox to work)- see the attached screenshots.

I think I'll try the new VMWare Sphere that I just downloaded tonight before I jump through all those hoops.

EDIT: lsmod | grep kv tells me this:

Module Size Used by
    kvm_amd 37070 0
    kvm 286527 1 kvm_amd
    and lsmod | grep vbox tells me:
    Module Size Used by
    vboxpci 14281 0
    vboxnetadp 5710 0
    vboxnetflt 16670 0
    vboxdrv 1853374 3 vboxpci,vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt
    It looks like I might be able to do a little blacklisting, but I'm going to build VMWare Tools first before I make any system changes.

Also, here are some resources:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch0...ro-64bitguests

Checking for Virtualization and 64 bit support from Linux
    http://jamesmcdonald.id.au/it-tips/c...ort-from-linux

Oracle Virtualization – Installing Oracle VM Server 2.2.1, Oracle VM Manager 2.2.0 and Deploying Oracle RAC 11gR2 (11.2.0.2) Oracle VM templates Linux x86 64 bit for test configuration
    http://gjilevski.wordpress.com/2011/...configuration/

http://www.virtualbox.org/

KVM.org
    http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by northd_tech; September 6th, 2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added links and diagnostic commands

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123