Thread: Multiple Starting File Manager - Loads of them at Start up.

Beans

Multiple Starting File Manager - Loads of them at Start up.

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with 'Starting File Manager' completeley filling my taskbar on startup.

There could be 100 of them for all I know, as the taskbar ends up dividing into tiny slices for each.

How do I find out what is causing this? Is there a log file I can check or some way to repair ubuntu off the Live CD?

Recently installed some updates. Last night tried reinstalling Nautilus and Gnome (did that with commands from Ctrl Alt F1 ) but that has not helped.

Any help gratefully received!

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64bit)
    Dell Inspiron 530

I'm no Ubuntu / Linux expert, but I can try to find any info / logs required

Thanks
    Darren

Beans

Re: Multiple Starting File Manager - Loads of them at Start up.

Well, a reinstall it is then!

Gonna try it with separate partition this time for /home folder, and see how it goes...

D

Beans

Dear all,

Experiencing exactly the same problem here. Anyone with any ideas ? A particular update maybe ?
    I used to be able to log out and then next time I logged on, it was normal again ... only worked twice

Regards,

WM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used to have that problem very often on a new installation. Fortunately no longer.

But this is what I had to do to stop the auto-spawning of nautilus back in Lucid/Maverick:
    Make a backup of the file and then manually change the following line using a text editor as root.

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/nautilus.desktop /usr/share/applications/nautilus.desktop.bak
    gksu gedit /usr/share/applications/nautilus.desktop
    X-GNOME-AutoRestart=true
    to
    X-GNOME-AutoRestart=false
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've read everything I could find on this, including the bug reports. I tried everything, including drs305. There appears to be no solution that works yet. But my problem occurred when I upgraded my system. So I reverted to an older version of my video driver and the problem was SOLVED!

If you're using an AMD driver you might want to downgrade. My problem version was amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run.

The version that works is ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run

You can find old drivers on http://support.amd.com

Good luck.
    --------------
    If it works great, don't upgrade!
    Last edited by UncleBoarder; November 22nd, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: Multiple Starting File Manager - Loads of them at Start up.

Uh... It DID work, I know it did. But after I reinstalled (I'd tried so much stuff to get this working I wanted to be ce rtain)... anyway after a reinstall with the older video driver it failed again. So, 4 more hours of searching/reading I think I found the answer. https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus-...ry/+bug/664793

Which says, disable RGBA in your File Management Preferences. Open Nautilus (any folder window). In nautilus window choose edit->preferences, in tweak tab, disable rgba. reboot.

This worked for me and I guess that means I need to reinstall once more to be certain. Here we go...
    Last edited by UncleBoarder; November 23rd, 2012 at 04:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro

IT WORKS! Even with the new video driver!

So the only problem is a bug in the RGBA code. Disable RGBA and your golden!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.