Thread: Always breaking! "Loading" ubuntu, black screen, nothing. Low graphics mode works...?

Beans

Always breaking! "Loading" ubuntu, black screen, nothing. Low graphics mode works...?

I just installed 11.04 and downloaded and installed a CRAP LOAD of stuff. I restored some of my settings, so this may be the problem. When I go into boot, I see ubuntu (bunchanumbers), ubuntu recovery, previous linux versions (repeats above two options, IDK whats up with that!), memtest, memtest (some different numbers), windows, windows recovery. When I hit the first option it goes to the ubuntu loading thing, which I thought was only on the CD... it then gives me a black screen adn does nothing. I can tap the power button and the thing you see when you boot off the CD (with the "checking.... state [ok]") then it says "unmounting weak filesystems" and "halting" or something.... It flashes so quick I can't read it. It then shuts down. When I go into Ubuntu Recovery, I can run all the checks and nothing comes back. I booted into low graphics mode and it worked. What do I need to do?

Beans

Re: Always breaking! "Loading" ubuntu, black screen, nothing. Low graphics mode works

Maybe you can try to boot in low graphics mode

Then try to connect to the internet en type this in the terminal
    PHP Code:
    apt-get update 
    and hit enter, then do
    PHP Code:
    apt-get upgrade 
    hit enter again.

Maybe it helps to check for some new drivers.

greetz

Beans

Re: Always breaking! "Loading" ubuntu, black screen, nothing. Low graphics mode works

Well, this is the results of that...

alyssa@alyssa-HP-G62-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    alyssa@alyssa-HP-G62-Notebook-PC:~$

I am going to real quick try some things before I restart just to be sure...

Beans

Okahy. Nothing worked so far. Ran a bunch more things, reconfigured everything a few times (using recovery) and I found the error in a log...

"Fatal startup error: No screens"

Uhhh... That would explain the black screen, but why? How to fix?

EDIT: I just restored the failsafe xorg file, started x and got this error

Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.

Going to restart....

EDIT! Fixed!
    Last edited by Lucypie; August 16th, 2011 at 02:25 AM.