Thread: System 76: Gazelle vs. Serval - Rubber finish worth 200$?

Beans

System 76: Gazelle vs. Serval - Rubber finish worth 200$?

With exactly the same options selected, the Serval costs 200$ more than the Gazelle. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the finish: matte polycarbonate for the Gazelle vs. rubberized for the Serval.

I know this is subjective, but: do you think the rubber finish is worth the price difference?

(Or is there another difference that I have missed? Remember: same options - including matte screen, now available on the Serval also.)

Beans

Re: System 76: Gazelle vs. Serval - Rubber finish worth 200$?

I asked the same question (although when I configured them the same, there was only a $45 difference). Ian told me:

The Serval uses all copper components in it's cooling system and comes with a 10 Amp power supply, both of which are needed to handle the strain of running the top end Graphics card and Processor; the Gazelle uses an Aluminum cooling system and 6.3 Amp power supply. Also, the Serval comes with a rubberized soft-touch finish similar to the one used on many cell-phones, while the Gazelle uses a standard matte-black polycarbonate finish. The Soft-touch finish is more durable, and gives the machine more of a higher-end feel and look than the Gazelle.
    I wound up going with the Serval and am happy with it.

Beans

Thanks for the info!

I realized afterwards there was a small difference in the options I had chosen, but it still came out to 160$ (unless I missed something else).

Anyway, I ended up ordering the Gazelle. I hope I am not going to have second thoughts...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They're both great machines. I'm sure you'll be quite happy with your Gazelle.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!