Thread: Need to manually check status of ufw on boot up?

Beans

Need to manually check status of ufw on boot up?

Hello,

I have a question regarding ufw.

Before using ufw, I was using firestarter to set up the firewall rules. While using it, I was told that it is just an interface to set up the iptables rules and that the firewall would be running automatically at boot without any manual intervention. But, once I just checked my firewall and found that there were no iptables rules set and I wasn't protected by a firewall. After that, I would always log into the administrative account first, run firestarter, make sure that it was active(there is an icon which shows that) and also check the iptables rules.

I decided to move from firestarter to ufw since firestarter does not set up filter rules for ipv6.

Now, when we first enable ufw, we get a message saying that the firewall was enabled and would be automatically enabled at boot time. How dependable is this piece of information? As of right now, I always first log into the administrative account, run the command "sudo ufw status verbose" and make sure that the firewall is actually active. It has been active every time I checked(for a desktop). Now, is it necessary to do this? How about cases where network connections are set up only when you log into an user account(such as when you connect to a wireless network using a laptop)? In that case, will ufw automatically adapt the rules to that new network connection or is any manual intervention or status checking required?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Need to manually check status of ufw on boot up?

Firestarter and ufw conflict with eachother, so, you need to purge(not remove) firestarter.

when you apt-get remove firestarter, all the config files are left in place

when you apt-get purge firestarter, the config files are removed as well.

What and how do you want to check your firewall ?

You can run

Code:
    sudo iptables -L -v -n
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...apt-get.8.html

[quote] purge
    purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged (any configuration files are deleted too).[quote]
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface