Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Kernel 3.0 Battery Life/Power Consumption

Re: Linux Kernel 3.0 Battery Life/Power Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by tushantin View Post
    Fuduntu, your methods require the use of your distro, but unfortunately as I'm an end-user artist (not a programmer) it may be a while till I give it a serious try. However...

I'm using HP Mini 210, 32 bit, and according to the "latest fix", kernel 3.1 would still give me 11.7w of power consumption. I'm not even using Sandy Bridge, and that's still quite high.

How would you suggest to get it down to 8 or 7 watts?
    The methods are generic and can be applied to any distro. There are lots of threads in this very forum that discuss using most of these tuning parameters / software. Jupiter is available for Ubuntu from webupd8.

My distribution just improves some of the defaults.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    I'm asking because I see nothing special e.g. in that topic about T420. Just the usual grub line fixes everyone who faces the, let's call it excessive heating, has been juggling around with little success. On top of that you add installation of thinkfan. The last one seems obsolete to me as my fan runs at max (3000 RPM) all the time and it's unable to keep the CPU below 50 deg C. I hope now you understand my hesitation.
    The topic rolls up all of the commonly applied parameters, and adds thinkfan (to the t420).

Your CPU fan wouldn't run at max all the time if something wasn't causing it to run at max. Look at your process table, after applying the tweaks and you still see a problem you'll most likely find it there.

Note that I am using kernel 3.1.4 also. Your comment really seems to indicate that it is probably something specific to Ubuntu.
    Last edited by fuduntu; December 18th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    The topic rolls up all of the commonly applied parameters, and adds thinkfan (to the t420).

Your CPU fan wouldn't run at max all the time if something wasn't causing it to run at max. Look at your process table, after applying the tweaks and you still see a problem you'll most likely find it there.
    You have to understand that I wasted tens of hours trying those "fixes" and even older kernels with no luck. Before I get back into this crap I need to be tossed a detail that would convince me about the slightest REAL chance of success.

As for the processes. I haven't seen anything over 30% the entire time of my testing, ever. I used the System Monitor as well as the htop.

Again - I don't use Snady Bridge platform. I use C2D laptop (T500).

You have to understand that I wasted tens of hours trying those "fixes" and even older kernels with no luck. Before I get back into this crap I need to be tossed a detail that would convince me about the slightest REAL chance of success.

As for the processes. I haven't seen anything over 30% the entire time of my testing, ever. I used the System Monitor as well as the htop.

Again - I don't use Snady Bridge platform. I use C2D laptop (T500).
    C2D, I have one also (T400), it idles between 7-8 watts. Perhaps you should try those tweaks with Fuduntu or another Linux distro and see if the problem disappears.

I test this stuff on a variety of machines, I don't just make it all up.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fuduntu
    Next, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    I'm quite skeptical about doing that in Oneiric / Natty...

EDIT: To be fair, I am using Jupiter. Still not the results I'm expecting.
    Last edited by tushantin; December 18th, 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    C2D, I have one also (T400), it idles between 7-8 watts. Perhaps you should try those tweaks with Fuduntu or another Linux distro and see if the problem disappears.

I test this stuff on a variety of machines, I don't just make it all up.
    It may sound strange but I'd like to stay with Ubuntu. All in all I won't dig into it unless your findings are confirmed by other sources or unless you personally do a case with T500. Until then I'll rest with my heater...

The distro thing:
    I recall users of other distros reporting the same problems so another 'no, thank you.' Second - you could prove in 30 minutes that it's Ubuntu's fault by taking that 8W T420, installing Ubuntu (default) and applying your fixes that worked under Fuduntu.

One last thing:
    ISO's and kernels are ridiculously easy to test so if you have a source of the 3.1.4 kernel or an ISO you think is worth a try (Ubuntu only, Fuduntu maybe...), please post the links.

P.S. If this whole thing comes up in the future to be like you told it all was, I'll publicly apologize. Then I'd like to know who DA #$ was responsible for all that mess because the world has the right to know the name of those #$^% saboteurs (I don't take idiocy into account).

EDIT:
    Regarding the
    Next, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    Are you sure it's not part of the official ubuntu guide on installing AMD drivers? Are you sure user needs to do it even using the official automatic AMD Catalyst installer?

EDIT:
    BTW, after I gave up I left my GRUB parameters like this
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 radeon.modeset=0"
    Last edited by Bucic; December 18th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

It may sound strange but I'd like to stay with Ubuntu. All in all I won't dig into it unless your findings are confirmed by other sources or unless you personally do a case with T500. Until then I'll rest with my heater...
    A T500 isn't much different than a T400, the biggest difference is the screen size. Of course there are models with differing hardware, but if you would like to send me your T500 I'll fix it for you. I'm not that expensive, personalized service runs about $250/hour US if interested.

The distro thing:
    I recall users of other distros reporting the same problems so another 'no, thank you.' Second - you could prove in 30 minutes that it's Ubuntu's fault by taking that 8W T420, installing Ubuntu (default) and applying your fixes that worked under Fuduntu.
    I spent years working on power management on Ubuntu only to find the platform to be buggier than anything. Users of other distros are reporting great success with Jupiter + the other tweaks mentioned. It's all over google.

The fact that I am using kernel 3.1.4 on a T420 and not having a problem with the "regression" simply proves that it is a configuration problem and not a kernel problem.

One last thing:
    ISO's and kernels are ridiculously easy to test so if you have a source of the 3.1.4 kernel or an ISO you think is worth a try (Ubuntu only, Fuduntu maybe...), please post the links.
    The source to the kernel I use is in my source repo, you are welcome to pull it down and build it.

P.S. If this whole thing comes up in the future to be like you told it all was, I'll publicly apologize. Then I'd like to know who DA #$ was responsible for all that mess because the world has the right to know the name of those #$^% saboteurs (I don't take idiocy into account).
    It's already been proven, several times. In this thread and others in this forum. If you want to believe Phoronix, go ahead. Michael makes a lot of money from his doomsday scenarios.

There is a sucker born every minute, which is what keeps Phoronix in business.

EDIT:
    Regarding the

Are you sure it's not part of the official ubuntu guide on installing AMD drivers? Are you sure user needs to do it even using the official automatic AMD Catalyst installer?
    Xorg will automatically configure itself, the removal of the xorg.conf is for an issue with a specific version of xorg, you probably don't need to worry with it.

EDIT:
    BTW, after I gave up I left my GRUB parameters like this
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 radeon.modeset=0"
    Did you also install Jupiter, and the latest version of the ATI drivers from ATI? You should look into it if you haven't.
    Last edited by fuduntu; December 19th, 2011 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Fuduntu, living in the third world country, $250/hour would take months of my salary in a single hour.

Just curious, though. Why won't you contribute this configuration fix to the parent branch of Ubuntu? That way, wouldn't everyone benefit from it?

P.S.: I'll try the grub parameter soon, though I have Jupiter and it doesn't give me the desired result yet. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by tushantin View Post
    Fuduntu, living in the third world country, $250/hour would take months of my salary in a single hour.

Just curious, though. Why won't you contribute this configuration fix to the parent branch of Ubuntu? That way, wouldn't everyone benefit from it?

P.S.: I'll try the grub parameter soon, though I have Jupiter and it doesn't give me the desired result yet. Not even close.
    Sorry to hear it is too expensive for you. Perhaps Bucic can swing it though to get his T500 supported since he did specifically ask for me to go out of my way to test on a T500.

I'll be happy to oblige if he would be willing to ship the T500, and pay my hourly rate.

Ubuntu isn't my upstream, and I have no desire to go to them with fixes, as historically they have cared more for shine over function.
    Last edited by fuduntu; December 19th, 2011 at 01:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Fuduntu,

You misunderstood me. I said that I need to see a T500 case to even start to think about spending another hours on further troubleshooting. Nothing more. BTW, saying that core iX platform is so similar*** to C2D platform is silly.

***enough to follow the same troubleshooting procedures.

I use AMD cat 11.10 and kernel version 3.0.*14* I have tried kernels v 2.6.32 and 2.6.34 with no luck. That alone would prove you right... 3.1.4 and 3.2.*rc* both give me laggy graphics but there's too much crap going on in Unity and compiz (multiple concurrent bugs, sweet) to blame it on kernels.

I really really wouldn't like to switch to non-ubuntu distro but I downloaded Fuduntu and Fedora 16 yesterday. With an external hdd it will be a breeze to test them out without losing my current ubuntu install.

On the Fuduntu's decision not to commit fixes to ubuntu. First and foremost if there's crap in ubuntu it's the multiple dev team corporation that should get on it - not some free soul. Simple as that.

What's the most worrying is that apparently (apparently) ubuntu lead devs are so off the real problems in the distro, that guy who supposedly have the fixes, chooses to create his own fork rather than trying to, I imagine, hit the wall of ubuntu team.
    Last edited by Bucic; December 19th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast