Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: There's a Chrome app for Netflix now, should work on Linux...just kidding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: There's a Chrome app for Netflix now, should work on Linux...just kidding.

Google obviously cares for the open source community, unlike some companies. Maybe they just forgot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Was directed at "lessmemorelove" since we already had went over what he mentioned.

I would love to find a way to make this work though. One less reason to keep Windows around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sorry, I was basically just summarizing the rest of the three pages before me making sure I did not miss anything and to make sure I was understanding the situation correctly. I also posted my error message verbatim in case any of us were getting a different message. Think of it as a long-winded BUMP. LOL.

dmiller was right, though, I did miss the fact that even on a 43-bit machine the drivers do not work. that was coming from one guy, though, so I wonder how someone else may fair. btw, I tried the netflix app on my chromium box and was denied, too. I have not tried copying over anything to it, though.

Beans
    Distro

My only guess is there's some other file it checks for. Makes me with I had a Chromebook now...

Beans
    Distro

That's what I've been thinking. My sister won't let me put her Chromebook in Dev Mode though so I can't help. If there is some way to open up and read the Netflix plugin...that might direct us to that file.

Beans

I haven't had any more success than anyone here with getting it to work with Chromium/Chrome on GNU/Linux, but I did decide to try it out on Chromium OS (which, not being Chrome OS, does not come with the netflix plugins either).

Extracting the Pepper and Plugins files to /opt/google/chrome gets Netflix seeing the plugin just fine and all seems as if it will work, but errors out saying that I am in Developer Mode. So I think we have all the files needed for Linux, they're just not registering properly with the browser? Unless Chromium OS comes with the extra necessary components that we're missing as well.

Honestly, I'd be happy to just use Chromium OS on my laptop as a solution if it meant finally being able to use my Netflix account on something other than my PS3. Just need to see if I(/someone else) can figure out how to make it think it's a regular ChromeOS install, and not in Dev Mode.
    Last edited by portentum; August 23rd, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That makes me wonder if there will ever be a Linux Plugin. If they won't let you stream in Dev Mode, they're trying to lock it down. :\ And I had my hopes up.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I feel like the Netflix developers really have their hands tied with their investors and content providers really pushing DRM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yesterday I started to watch a movie from Netflix on a CR-48.
    The performance is not good.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_NYC View Post
    Yesterday I started to watch a movie from Netflix on a CR-48.
    The performance is not good.
    That's because the Cr-48 has a single-core Atom processor. The other Chromebooks have much better performance with their dual-core Atom processors.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast