Thread: Wireless keeps cutting out

Beans

Wireless keeps cutting out

I just upgraded to 10.04 from 8.04 a few days ago and since the update I'm having a problem with my wifi. At first, when I was still running 8.04, everything was fine once I got the network set up (about a week ago), but I upgraded to 10.04 a few days ago, and since then my wifi has started to cut out fairly often, sometimes after just a few minutes, while other times it works fine for hours. I don't think this is an issue with my local network since often I can't see any of the wifi connections in the area when this occurs (although other times when my connectivity goes off I can still [apparently] see all the networks, including mine). When this happens I'll be connecting to my network endlessly, with it asking for the password, and then trying and failing and asking again. It either fixes itself after a minute or two, or toggling my wifi off using the switch on my computer (a Lenovo t60) fixes it. I can't tell if toggling does the trick, or if it just fixes itself in the time I wait to turn it off and back on. This is extremely puzzling to me because my connection works fine most of the time and worked perfectly prior to the 10.04 upgrade. I can't think of anything in particular that I do to set this off. It occurs often when I'm streaming video but I think that's just a consequence of how much time I spend streaming video, and not a causal factor. At least I don't see how it could be. So I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me about Ubuntu networking can help, or at least tell me if this is a problem others are having.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wireless keeps cutting out

I am also facing the same problem with my natty. I know there is no problem with my wifi since my phone connects and so does my iPad!
    Please help. Its extremely irritating.

Beans

I should clarify the nature of the problem, since it's happened again since I posted this: I can still see all the wifi connections in my area, I just can't connect to any of them unless I reset my connection using the button on my laptop. When I flip the switch, I immediately reconnect to my wifi network and can use the internet, but it then disconnects again after ~30 seconds. If I go through this process 3 or 4 times, it will stay on for a while (~hours). The problem usually (but not always) seems to happen when I'm streaming video, but not every time I stream video.

Beans

To further add to the information here, I've found a method to create this disconnection: if I use Google maps Streetview on Google Chrome it will do this every time. Not if I use Google maps Streetview on Firefox (it rarely does it then). But using Google maps Streetview is a reliable cause of this problem, on my system. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be, or what I could do to fix it?