Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a dedicated audio computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Building a dedicated audio computer

The Shuttle will work well, but you can probably build a similar system cheaper.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can anyone can suggest a suitable motherboard (which preferably doesn't need a fan) and case instead of the Shuttle? Ideally available in the UK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the benefit of anyone wanting to do the same, I got a good deal on a Shuttle XS35 complete with 160GB HD and 1GB RAM from EBuyer- too cheap to miss.

External 1TB Western Digital HD extremely cheap from PC World (ordered in advance to pick up from the store - saved £5). A cheap keyboard & mouse, second-hand 15 inch LCD screen and a HotAudio USB DAC WOW completed the setup.

I had wanted to use the minimal Ubuntu CD but ran into problems in that it didn't recognise the network card during the installation. The Live Ubuntu CD worked fine but I didn't want all of the excess things which came with it which I didn't need just to play music.

Eventually I gave up and installed Bodhi Linux. Just 2 programmes installed - Exaile and Decibel Audio Player.

Sounds as good as my CD player!

Beans

If you look on some of the audio forums, you'll find some very sophisticated discussions of these kinds of questions and while it would certainly depend on a LOT of details about exact configuration, I think you will find a lot of people will say that more system memory would by no means be wasted. I chatted with one Hi-Fi ubergeek that runs a 64 bit system, specifically so he can use more system memory. A lot of those ultra-perfectionists (and there are NO perfectionists like Hi-Fi geeks) would, however, endorse the idea of of a system that is minimalist in other respects, i. e., no more cpu and no more software than you need for the main objective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12