Thread: GVFS mounted file systems are not shown in most GTK application dialogs

Beans

GVFS mounted file systems are not shown in most GTK application dialogs

When mounting a virtual file system using GVFS it can be easily accessed using Nautilus. However, when I use most of my GTK based applications (i.e. Firefox or VLC), the virtual file systems are not shown in the "Open file" or "Save file" dialogs.
    These file systems can be still accessed from the .gvfs folder, but as I understand, this folder is ment to support command line or non-GTK applications, and my problem exists with GTK applications. Accessing these file systems through .gvfs is less comfortable and less intuitive.
    Is this a bug, misconfiguration or a feature by design?

I am using Ubuntu 10.04.03 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Re: GVFS mounted file systems are not shown in most GTK application dialogs

This problem still exists in 12.10. Additionally the ~/.gvfs/ folder has been moved to /run/user/<username>/gvfs/

You can live with it, but I'm afraid for less power users it might be a serious barrier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: GVFS mounted file systems are not shown in most GTK application dialogs

Quote Originally Posted by fulopattila122 View Post
    This problem still exists in 12.10. Additionally the ~/.gvfs/ folder has been moved to /run/user/<username>/gvfs/

You can live with it, but I'm afraid for less power users it might be a serious barrier.
    Had this working on 11.10 and also in a cloned 11.10 with subsequent update to 12.04

Used info from this thread to make it happen.

BUT: just did a fresh install of Mint 14 (= 12.10) then installed Gigolo as per link above. The NAS mounts automatically (as it should) and I can access it via Nautilus but the GVFS does not appear in the menus of applications.

Got around this problem this way:

1. open Nautilus
    2. select GVFS mount
    3. hit CTRL+D to create a Bookmark

If I now want to save something from an application or select a file from the GVFS it shows up in GTK application dialogs.

Not a nice way of doing it but it works.
    Last edited by aquarius18; December 5th, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Do You Ubuntu? I Do!
    The Network is Alive and Well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: GVFS mounted file systems are not shown in most GTK application dialogs

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.