Thread: best wireless card for linux?

Beans

best wireless card for linux?

I have a desktop PC and I need to get a WI-FI card for it (built in or USB). Whats the cheapest and best wireless card that has Linux support? thanks x

Beans

Re: best wireless card for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by connel View Post
    I have a desktop PC and I need to get a WI-FI card for it (built in or USB). Whats the cheapest and best wireless card that has Linux support? thanks x
    see here and take your pick

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

it will also be to do with compatability with your router for best results also
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Ok thanks for that just a quick question though:

I have a HP Pavilion Slimline S5545UK desktop PC. It has a spare slot with PCIE1X written next to it. I've looked online for some some network cards that would fit in this slot but my computer's case is a slimeline chasis so I don't think it is wide enough for a standard PCIE1X card. What do I need to search for to find a PCIE1X wireless card that would fit into a slimeline chasis? Thanks

Beans

Ok thanks for that just a quick question though:

I have a HP Pavilion Slimline S5545UK desktop PC. It has a spare slot with PCIE1X written next to it. I've looked online for some some network cards that would fit in this slot but my computer's case is a slimeline chasis so I don't think it is wide enough for a standard PCIE1X card. What do I need to search for to find a PCIE1X wireless card that would fit into a slimeline chasis? Thanks

any reason you want PCI as oppose to USB.

It appears there are some issues with the slimline design http://www.ehow.com/way_5864661_hp-s...-internet.html

I am sure there are some half riser (slimline) PCI express wifi cards out there, not sure of a particular model though i am afraid

Beans

I have read from a few places that PCI is better than USB for wireless cards although it looks like USB might be a much easier option. Thanks for your help!

Beans

I have read from a few places that PCI is better than USB for wireless cards although it looks like USB might be a much easier option. Thanks for your help!

Better is subjective. I have tons of PCMCIA, USB wifi devices which all work fine.

If you look on the list there are lots of USB ones which as you will see if you click on the details work out the box etc.

Best to get one recommended for your router if you want best signal though that is debatable.

Netgear, Broadcom, Belkin, Linksys all produce varying qulaity ones.

good luck