Thread: A little support :P

Beans

Question A little support :P

Im sure you get people like me a lot asking simple questions. Right now im installing Ubuntu 11 on my laptop. The laptop stopped working after what i am assuming was hard drive failure. Not wanting to spend an extra 150-200 bucks i decided that I would just go with the free OS, instead of windows. Couldn't hurt and if i wanted to change I could later down.

So any ways I went out and bought a 500gb Momentus XT by Seagate, its advertised as "Solid State" and says its generally faster then your normal drives. It replaced my basic 500 gb toshiba SATA drive. It installed fine, and dosent seem to be giving my problems with the install (currently installing as I am making this post). Just would like y'alls opinion on the drive.

Also another question! After installation, will I have to download Chipset Drivers, Video, Audio drivers? I know there different from what Windows would use, but I really know little to nothing about Ubuntu. From what I read it says there is a hardware driver program? Dose that come with the Base install or do I need to look for it? Im just really unfamiliar with it all. Thanks ahead of time, and thanks for reading this!

-Tyler aka Ragnas

Beans

Re: A little support :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnas View Post
    Im sure you get people like me a lot asking simple questions. Right now im installing Ubuntu 11 on my laptop. The laptop stopped working after what i am assuming was hard drive failure. Not wanting to spend an extra 150-200 bucks i decided that I would just go with the free OS, instead of windows. Couldn't hurt and if i wanted to change I could later down.

So any ways I went out and bought a 500gb Momentus XT by Seagate, its advertised as "Solid State" and says its generally faster then your normal drives. It replaced my basic 500 gb toshiba SATA drive. It installed fine, and dosent seem to be giving my problems with the install (currently installing as I am making this post). Just would like y'alls opinion on the drive.

Also another question! After installation, will I have to download Chipset Drivers, Video, Audio drivers? I know there different from what Windows would use, but I really know little to nothing about Ubuntu. From what I read it says there is a hardware driver program? Dose that come with the Base install or do I need to look for it? Im just really unfamiliar with it all. Thanks ahead of time, and thanks for reading this!

-Tyler aka Ragnas

SSD are fine and fast but expensive thast all really.

everthing else, wait until after install then come back and post of you have any questions, cant answer until we know what you have and need if anything.

good luck
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013