Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browser multi-process model good or bad?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Browser multi-process model good or bad?

Mozilla has a project, called Electrolysis, that aims to make Firefox a multi-process application, with separate processes for the user interface, each tab, and plugins. The plugin separation is already available since Firefox 3.6.

Such implementation would provide better performance and stability, since a crashed tab wouldn't take down the entire browser. You probably already experienced that when flash crashes. Before Firefox 3.6 it would take the entire browser down, but with out-of-process plugin implementation you just get a warning where the flash content should be displayed.

Chrome already is a multi-process application, which is one of the reasons why Chrome outperforms other browsers in benchmarks. However a recent experiment, conducted by a PhD student at the University of California, showed that Chrome chokes after opening 70 tabs and freezes after 150, while Firefox continues to operate without problems.

To do this he used a script that opens 150 of the most popular websites in a browser instance automatically. One page is opened in a new tab every 1.5 seconds. On the latest Firefox nightly build that process takes roughly 6 minutes and 14 seconds. On Chrome, it’s a totally different story with the time escalating to 28 minutes and 55 seconds. That’s well over 4x slower than Firefox.
    For more info:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/fi...bs-open-201108

Beans

Re: Browser multi-process model good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post

Chrome already is a multi-process application, which is one of the reasons why Chrome outperforms other browsers in benchmarks. However a recent experiment, conducted by a PhD student at the University of California, showed that Chrome chokes after opening 70 tabs and freezes after 150, while Firefox continues to operate without problems.
    I don't see how that's relevant. No one opens that many tabs in regular use. And even so, it's not surprising at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'll keep this in mind next time I want to open 150+ tabs.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

I will try this tonight and let you know about the results. BTW did they try this under Windows or Linux, you can hardly impress the Linux kernel with 150 threads, windows on the other hand ....

Beans

Running the bench now with Epiphany 3.0. I am assuming it would have done great except that i have like 20 instances of gtk gnash open as well.

At least i was smart enough to isolate it to a cgroup.

Edit: Stats when finished

Pages Opened: 15
    Tasks: 171 total, 23 running
    load average: 11.67, 11.38, 8.46
    Ram: 1998/2988
    Swap: 305/3336

Took around 20 mins. I am going to try again with gtk-gnash uninstalled.
    Last edited by NightwishFan; August 5th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

finally i don't have to do kill firefox for one plugin gone crazy. that's an awesome idea. Does that mean you can actually run a plugin from the command line and somehow be able to change the behavior, just like a program?

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I will try this tonight and let you know about the results. BTW did they try this under Windows or Linux, you can hardly impress the Linux kernel with 150 threads, windows on the other hand ....
    MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fdrake View Post
    finally i don't have to do kill firefox for one plugin gone crazy. that's an awesome idea. Does that mean you can actually run a plugin from the command line and somehow be able to change the behavior, just like a program?
    The plugin separation is already available since the early versions of Firefox 3.6, which was released more than a year ago.

I don't think you can access it via command-line. Flash is not exactly a standalone program, but a shared object. It loads via firefox's plugin-container process. I have no idea how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    I don't see how that's relevant. No one opens that many tabs in regular use. And even so, it's not surprising at all.
    I never open more than a dozen tabs. However I have seen people with more than 90 tabs open and since Tab groups in Firefox 6 doesn't load the tabs until you click the group, which improves Firefox startup considerably, you might see people using more and more tabs simultaneously.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; August 5th, 2011 at 07:11 PM.

Beans

I think the vast majority of users will use under 30 tabs so the separation should be to their advantage. Plus it will likely help stop tabs lagging when I open another tab in the background.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I think the vast majority of users will use under 30 tabs so the separation should be to their advantage. Plus it will likely help stop tabs lagging when I open another tab in the background.
    Indeed: https://testpilot.mozillalabs.com/te...e/results.html

Beans

A browser is a psuedo background application, and because of that it never start hogging resources like some game.
    Separating some threads is good, but multithreading for tabs? Really really bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast