Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPDIF surround sound HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: SPDIF surround sound HELP!

I'm sorry I should have clarified this from the start. I'm using digital thru the onboard SPDIF over toslink. The HDMI I have turned off in the sound preferences. Actaully this brings up an earlier point. Before I made the recent changes, if I set HDMI as my default device, then set SPDIF in XBMC as my default device, I could get passthru to work just fine and have analog stereo working without switching profiles, but if I wanted to listen to music on a music player, system sounds etc, I had to switch the default back to SPDIF in system preferences. This was wierd. You are right about a52, Sometimes the sound quality can get pretty aweful. maybe if I backtrack, remove a52 and set everything back to what I originally had it you could help me with that?
    Last edited by TrenTech; August 9th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Beans

where you successful with your attempts of digital pass-thru of surround sound streams via your S/PDIF cable? I am searching for the same thing for my HTPC since I switched from an analog sound system to one with a big digital receiver in its center, and at the moment I can only output stereo sound with my ubuntu machine to that receiver. not really satisfying..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kaefert
    Understand that S/PDIF can only support stereo audio stream up to 96KHz (192K for some) & matrix encoded multi-channel (AC3/DTS) data stream at 48KHz. (640Kbitsps/1M5bitsps)

The multi-channel audio is a data stream, you can not (easily) mix/share (no volume controls).
    The multi-channel stream must be initiated/supported from the player software.
    The very latest Pulse audio may support...

HDMI audio connect is far superior if your AVR supports it..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12