Thread: installed apache on local, is it accesible by others?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question installed apache on local, is it accesible by others?

everything has it's default password or doesnt have any, because i'm the only user, i'm not connected to any particular network, but directly connected to internet
    are my stuff(home folder,apache root folder: /var/www/, sqldatabases,...) in danger?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: installed apache on local, is it accesible by others?

hell yea,

Thats like saying "Hay I live on a farm, but I don't have a fence, gate or doors. Am I in danger of getting robbed?"

I suggest geeting atleast a firewall up and running, refusing all INBOUND connections... also, never ever use default passwords, and NEVER leave anything without passwords.

Directly connected to the internet is dangerous to begin with, leaving everything open is like putting up a "Welcome" sign.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zero2xiii View Post
    hell yea,

Thats like saying "Hay I live on a farm, but I don't have a fence, gate or doors. Am I in danger of getting robbed?"

I suggest geeting atleast a firewall up and running, refusing all INBOUND connections... also, never ever use default passwords, and NEVER leave anything without passwords.

Directly connected to the internet is dangerous to begin with, leaving everything open is like putting up a "Welcome" sign.

i have a wireless router, does that count?
    how do i deny access of others to apache? just accessible by me

Beans

If there is a router between your computer and the Internet, then you are safe. Any attacker would need to go through your router. Routers will handle all incoming requests themselves, unless you configure them to forward a specific port to your computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks, thousand times