Thread: banshee last.fm fingerprinting, login every time?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

banshee last.fm fingerprinting, login every time?

Hi peeps!

So I found banshee and decided to try and manage my old music library for real.

Many of my imported CDs are really old so they have little to no meta-data connected to them.
    I found the last.fm fingerprinting addon and it seemed like it was the right thing. However I have some problems.

Every time I try to use the fingerprinting I need to login to last.fm so for an album of 17 tracks I need to login about 17 times.
    Connected to this is the problem that banshee doesn't seem to always write the new data to the file. I have checked that I allow it to write meta-data to file and change names of files. But sometimes it doesn't seem to stick.
    Is this how it is suppose to work? If not, how could i fix it?

I haven't found any threads or pages that describe this problem. But I would assume this would be a problem for those with previously unmanaged audio tracks.

On a side note. I would like to convert my mp3 and other formats to ogg or similar free format. What would you recommend for this? Can banshee do this?
    I haven't searched for this yet but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there some nice app that can do this for a whole library or similar?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: banshee last.fm fingerprinting, login every time?

Same issue for me. It will write 1 or 2 metadatas, but then will quit writing them.

It also asks to login every single time, even though I have logged into my last.fm account in the Library Tree.

Seems as though it should remember that I am logged in.

Anyone?

Beans

My understanding is that Auth is not even necessary for use (there are some pretty basic restriction on use though - like 300 requests a minute or something)

http://www.last.fm/api/show?service=441
    track.getFingerprintMetadata

<quote>
    Auth
    This service does not require authentication.
    </quote>

...but an API key may be required (not sure if gnome/banshee has/need it's own unique value, or already has one).
    If push comes to shove, I'll apply for my own key & load it in a config file, if required.

I've filed bugs with last.fm & gnome/banshee:
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=658620

Please check to confirm if you're experiencing a similar issue & that I've got it right.
    Last edited by freakalad; September 9th, 2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: de-duplication
    FLOSS'er

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Good! Exactly the problem I am experiencing. I hope a solution will emerge.

Beans

Please comment on the bug-report (& @ the last.fm forum-post) so that we can draw attention to the bug & maybe get some progress going there.

It's pretty messed-up that such an obviously-flawed piece of software made it into the reo's
    FLOSS'er

Beans

was hoping this issue would *finally* be fixed in the 12.04 release & stack, but this is very-much *not* the case, nor does the plugin actually work!
    I think a case should be made for the complete removal of this plugin
    FLOSS'er