Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I convert my video collection to Blu-Ray?

Beans

How can I convert my video collection to Blu-Ray?

My sister just upgraded to HDTV and Blu-Ray and wants me to convert all of her videos to Blu-Ray disks.

Can anyone point me to a program that can do this with minimal setup?

Videos are in all different formats from AVI to MKV to MPEG4, etc.

This is over a decade of videos on her computer.

In windows I was able to conert some videos to AVI, but they wouldn't burn to a Blu-Ray format. they just copied the AVI directly to Blu-RAY disk. and others wanted $100+ dollars to burn videos to Blu-RAY and another $100+ to convert videos to Blu-Ray format.

Thanks for any help
    -=Mark=-
    GigaByte Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Rev. 1.0) F9 * i3-2100T * 8GB (2 x 4GB Ripjaws) * Powercolor HD 5670 * Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How can I convert my video collection to Blu-Ray?

I think it's as easy as making an ISO and burning it to a blu-ray disk. I have no experience with blu-rays, so it might not be that simple. I Googled around and couldn't find any concrete information, so this is just my best guess.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

not sure if by simply re-burning the data from one media to another will increase the quality to HD...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Basher101 View Post
    not sure if by simply re-burning the data from one media to another will increase the quality to HD...
    No, it won't. But she may just want them on blu-ray disks so she doesn't have to keep a DVD player around.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Most Blu-ray players that I know of also play DVD disks.

Converting avi's to Blu-ray is pointless and a waste of money.
    There is no increase in quality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A lot of DVD players play Div-X as well. Blank CDs are cheaper than DVDs are cheaper than Blu-Ray discs.
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The only reason I can see for archiving existing content on Blu-ray is to take advantage of its larger storage capacity. As others have said, burning to BD won't change the existing quality of the encode.

That said, you could consider simply making data disks if the Blu-ray player supports a common format like MP4 or DivX/XviD. (I'd prefer Matroska myself, but it's hard to find commercial players that support it.) MP4 with H.264 video and AAC or AC3 audio is probably the best choice for a single format that could encompass the variety of material your sister apparently has.

You might take a look at ImgBurn, a Windows program that apparently will also run under Wine on Linux. The website states that, "You can use it to build DVD Video discs (from a VIDEO_TS folder), HD DVD Video discs (from a HVDVD_TS folder) and Blu-ray Video discs (from a BDAV / BDMV folder) with ease."

How one builds a BDAV/BDMV folder in Linux is outside my ken.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    The only reason I can see for archiving existing content on Blu-ray is to take advantage of its larger storage capacity. As others have said, burning to BD won't change the existing quality of the encode.
    Yes,this is my goal. I just want to get more movies on one disc more than anything. If one format will make the files smaller would be even better.

That said, you could consider simply making data disks if the Blu-ray player supports a common format like MP4 or DivX/XviD. (I'd prefer Matroska myself, but it's hard to find commercial players that support it.) MP4 with H.264 video and AAC or AC3 audio is probably the best choice for a single format that could encompass the variety of material your sister apparently has.
    I was thinking of converting to h.264 mostly for the hardware encoding of most hardware.

You might take a look at ImgBurn, a Windows program that apparently will also run under Wine on Linux. The website states that, "You can use it to build DVD Video discs (from a VIDEO_TS folder), HD DVD Video discs (from a HVDVD_TS folder) and Blu-ray Video discs (from a BDAV / BDMV folder) with ease."
    imgburnwas my guess, but it wasn't drag n drop like img files. maybe I need a converter to make a img file first? imgburn looks like it has a lot of features, but it looks like a lot of hard work to get working with Blu-ray.

How one builds a BDAV/BDMV folder in Linux is outside my ken.
    This seems my biggest challenge. I just can't find a program that converts to this ts_video style like my DVDs have on a blu-ray. not sure if blu-ray even uses the same format.

I guess I'm going to have to get my hands dirty and just do some trial and error to see if I can get this figured out. hopefully I can figure out a simple way to convert all these videos.

Thanks for everyone's advice
    -=Mark=-
    GigaByte Z68MA-D2H-B3 (Rev. 1.0) F9 * i3-2100T * 8GB (2 x 4GB Ripjaws) * Powercolor HD 5670 * Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by rmjohnson144 View Post
    This seems my biggest challenge. I just can't find a program that converts to this ts_video style like my DVDs have on a blu-ray. not sure if blu-ray even uses the same format.

I guess I'm going to have to get my hands dirty and just do some trial and error to see if I can get this figured out. hopefully I can figure out a simple way to convert all these videos.

Thanks for everyone's advice
    -=Mark=-
    please share your trials and errors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rmjohnson144 View Post
    I was thinking of converting to h.264 mostly for the hardware encoding of most hardware.
    The choice of "container" is equally important if you want to ensure wide compatability. As I said, I'd prefer to use Matroska (MKV), but it's largely snubbed by commercial player manufacturers. Sony pushed hard for the MP4 container so most players support it natively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast