Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Beans

Re: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_25
    Check out the screens for this game. It looks great if you like simulations.

http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/

Also, flightgear is open source. It's definitely a good game. So is planetpenguin-racer for that matter.
    It's actually from a game called 'Silent Service' which was released by Microprose (I think) years ago..think I had it on an old Atari 800XL. Good game, but its not original.

If Trem pushed the strat side a little more then it'd be more unique - not many proper FPS / Strat games around (the best being, of course, Battlezone 1&2)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

As far as Tremulous goes....

- it doesn't have punkbuster. Cheaters' paradise.
    - many deficiencies related to kicking. You can simply change name while there's a vote to kich you and nothing happens. The game allows names with spaces and parses them poorly. Names like 'all idiot' can be exploited. Kicking such player actually kicks all players from the server.
    Players who's just been kicked aren't banned and can instantly rejoin.
    It takes 1 player to pass any vote - for example to change or restart map, or to kick someone. If 3 players vote yes and 2 vote no, the vote passes.

This is very important, because Tremulous is very vulnerable to griefers. Someone can deconstruct reactor and you're pretty much dead at that point. Malicious player can deconstruct spawns, preventing other players from playing. It wouldn't be as bad if many servers didn't have voting disabled (they have it disabled because voting is poorly implemented and can disorganize matches)

These were just technical aspects. Now lets look at gameplay design:

- the game has ambitions to be 'strategic', but to make the biggest impact on the match you need to kill the most stuff, this enables higher technologies. I've seen many matches won by 1-2 good players (usually dragoons). Killing more players gives you more points/money to purchase better weaponry/armor/whatever. Winner-wins-more mechanic.
    - human turrets are very powerful early, and early aliens are very weak at destroying buildings. If humans feel like camping for several minutes at the start of match, nothing will stop them, and there's no reason not to do so.
    Camping is bad because it makes the game very boring. If both teams sit there for several minutes doing nothing, with turrets between them, something is just wrong.
    - one of alien classes - basilisk - is very pointless and a waste of evolve points. It's not very fast, quite vulnerable, has weak melee attack, and no purpose whatsover. Some will argue it's good against isolated humans (because it clearly doesn't work on groups !). But only very inexperienced human players travel alone, and basically any alien is good against lone human. On top of that basilisk is very bad against buildings,jetpacks, and very bad against battlesuits (can't poison it, can't hold it properly, and it takes like 20 melee attacks to kill it).
    My observations are based on several dozens of matches played.
    - another mark of bad design: Hovel (alien building). It's intended as a hideout for alien builder class, granger. But it's available only at 3rd tier, and at that point humans already have heavy weaponry and explosives. Sitting in a building, even as tough as hovel, is asking for big trouble. Therefore nobody uses hovel, except as free wall.
    - the game is very unfriendly to late joiners. Especially if you join aliens... assuming both sides are at stage3
    - no one bothers with alien Barricade structure, and for good reason. Again, bad design.
    To summarize: I played many team-based multiplayer games, but no game had such boring stalemates like Tremulous. Matches lasting for 60 minutes (despite Sudden Death mode enabled), and ending with a Draw result, are fairly common.
    I discourage people from trying Tremulous. Try Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory instead. As far as I remember, it has been opensourced a while ago, even if some media (graphics, sound) isn't GPLed.
    If W:ET is too arcade for you, try a free total conversion called True Combat: Elite. http://truecombat.com/intro.php
    Last edited by B0rsuk; May 25th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by B0rsuk
    I discourage people from trying Tremulous. Try Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory instead. As far as I remember, it has been opensourced a while ago, even if some media (graphics, sound) isn't GPLed.
    Tremolous is a good game, just they need to change those anoying "bugs" about vote and all those things.. as simple as parse the command with quotes...

About camping same.. I remember mods in my old quake times for anticampers, killing them if they where too much time in the same place.

The difficult thing is about those guys removing bases.. that is a bit more difficult to figure out how to prevent this.

Also when you get done to play with the humans, it is not that hard to kill a "dragon". I remember a game plenty of dragons where i ended with over 200 frags and we won the aliens, was a very long and fun game.

About the thing there is not good/original open source games.. well there are some, you should think that the regular time that takes to make a good comercial game is about 2/3 years depending if they have to implement the engine or they bought it, then it can be a bit less. That is why most of these open source projects move to existing engines like quake 3 and so on... usually the developer team for these projects are very short in people... I remember the engine tenebrae, a Quake modified engine wich implemented all the stuff doom 3 engine was capable to do, even before this one was out. The developer team was 2 people if im not wrong and 1 of them is working in splash damage making Quake Wars - Enemy Territory right now.
    Last edited by minisori; May 25th, 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Games I wouldn't mind getting re-invented as Open Source games - Dungeon Keeper 2 clone and Majesty clone.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I agree with A.I., that would be sweet to have a Dungeon Keeper (1 or 2) clone. Majesty was a blast as well, though since they have a natve linux version, it's all good on that front.

Actually the rogue like games were initially based on open sourced games that were created back in the old Unix days. So if you're looking for an original open source game that is an ancestor to a lot of commercial games, like diablo, sacred, etc. Look no further than Nethack or other Rogue style games. The only thing Diablo added was real time play and it took out the most of the randomness.

http://www.wichman.org/roguehistory.html

Leech
    Last edited by leech; May 26th, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
    Wah! Wah! Life was more entertaining when I had 64KB of RAM in my computer.
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum HowTo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but True Combat: Elite is an excellent game. True it has been refered to as a CS clone, but it's much more realistic and a big upgrade will be out any time now.
    VivaLaRoach

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Beans

Planeshift is an open source MMORPG. The development has been slow though.. planeshift.it << website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This thread has inspired me to do something:
    http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans

My original post about Oolite seems to have been deleted for some reason .
    It is a great open source (improved) clone of Elite.

And if you don't know what Elite is, you should burn in hell.
    Or admit that you aren't old enough to have played on BBC B/Commodore 64s

Beans

Vega Strike is both good, and original. Anyone who was a fan of Wing Commander, (ugh) X, X-Wing, Freespace, etc, should check this one out.

Also, Wing Commander Universe, a total conversion of Vegastrike, is available via the VS forums. It's not very polished, but it's fun, and in constant development.

Eventually I intend to get off my duff and put something out there. I have NO idea what, however. I'm fed up with CRPGs and their players; bad plots, irritating fanboys, I'd rather just read a book. MMORPGs are much the same, though I did have a good idea for one - problem is, I don't know how popular it would be, given that it actually has a lot of depth. People don't seem to want that.

Maybe if I make a roguelike and see how they handle it...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast