Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Good/original OpenSource games don't exist ?

Quote Originally Posted by LordRaiden
    An MMORPG would a good start. You won't have to worry about graphics in the beginning and if you plan your code, you can probably separate the game code (gameplay, game rules, items, etc.) from the graphics engine. Actually, you can focus on making the game (gameplay, rules, w/e) and let other people worry about the graphics. Sort of like how KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc, are all different front ends for Linux.

You could right the 'game' n Python, and have different graphics engines running it. That way, people with flashy graphics (KDE) can play with people who don't like the flashy graphics (GNOME), because they'd be playing the same game (Linux). (Not say that KDE is more flashy than GNOME, but people do express that general sentiment)

BTW: I'm looking into learning Python right now, and if something gets started, I'd like to help.
    Now that is a cool idea. So, who is going to lead this? Less talky, more codey.

Beans

Hi,

I'm a member of the development team of TA Spring and here is a quick reply to the original poster. Sorry if I missed some important stuff in the middle of the thread. I didn't read it entirely.

quote: "TA Spring doesn't even try to pretend it's not Total Annihilation clone, even worse - it requires a lot of commercial data to work, and free media replacements for the game are far from working. "

Indeed we aren't a Total Annihilation clone. We have much new stuff never seen in Total Annihilation like dynamic water rendering, shields, groundplate decals, mobile units that can build mobile units, you can enter units in first person mode, etc. etc.

So, have you even tried it recently?

Xect vs. Mynn mod uses NO commercial data.
    Most of the (over 250) community made maps use NO commercial data.
    Nanoblobs mod uses (almost) no commercial data.

That's all for now

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

When / how do we start?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

GL TRON has always been one of my favorite games.
    http://www.gltron.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg View Post
    This thread has inspired me to do something:
    http://freegamer.blogspot.com/
    Wow - look where Free Gamer is now. Kinda cool to find this - I'd forgotten how it had all started!

Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Unfortunately, you're just about correct. The reason is possibly that for a game to form, someone has to have a team of people, otherwise it turns out...badly. If you have one person who's a really good coder (the usual case) the creative concepts are minimal. If you have one person who's really creative, the code is a failure. It goes on. Gaming is one of the few things that unfortunately works well as a restricted system.
    If, of course one has the bravery to on a "true game" however, you need multiple "teams" for each portion. One team for graphics, one team for ideas, one team for concepts, and one team for coding. It just works that way. It's possible to beat closed source games, just very, very difficult, and requires heavy organization.
    Last edited by Ryoushi19; July 30th, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well... here are my 2 cents....

Vegastrike: It made a great approach to open gaming (not open as in open source, but open like the elder scrolls).... it is pretty entertaining although time consuming... and frankly I haven't seen those ideas (apart from the open gaming) in any other game

Armagetron and other tron games.... I challenge you to find a commercial game that resembles it plus it is really fun for a quicki play

Metal blob solid... althopugh it is just another plataformer, its simple 2d graphics are enough for fast paced action and a lot of fun

Tremulous: Just an online fps? WRONG! its combination of rts elements is really refreshing in the deathmatch and capture the flag world....

Globulation2: well a very oriuginal rts where what matters is strategic thinking, not just evolving and making an army to crush the opponents

Nethack: Nuff said, this game is pretty unique

Neverball: it is the most entertaining golf simulator around.... commercial antecesors? none that I can remember

Scorched 3d.... this is the example of when you take an old concept (scorched earth) and by hard work turn it into something pretty fresh, pretty entertainin, pretty complete..

None of those games have eye candy graphics... they are very simple yet offer the fun no game has given me in a long time (most of these games can even be played ith your friends on the same machine at the same time)

Just my 2 cents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Takmadeus View Post

Armagetron and other tron games.... I challenge you to find a commercial game that resembles it plus it is really fun for a quicki play
    I'll take that challenge: Tron 2.0 from Buena Vista Interactive. In addition to the solid Tron-y goodness of the FPS parts of the game, there is a fantastic light cycle competition component that can be played single player or online multiplayer with up to 8 other players. Graphically it is much better than Armagetron or glTron and it even has a new light cycle type designed by the movie's original production designer. Unfortunately, it is based on the Lithtech engine, so it doesn't work with Wine (something to do with multi threaded Direct3D applications).

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'll take that challenge: Tron 2.0 from Buena Vista Interactive. In addition to the solid Tron-y goodness of the FPS parts of the game, there is a fantastic light cycle competition component that can be played single player or online multiplayer with up to 8 other players. Graphically it is much better than Armagetron or glTron and it even has a new light cycle type designed by the movie's original production designer.
    Sure, but glTron was first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually, the 1982 Tron arcade game from Midway was first (after the movie, of course). All others are just copies/updates of that.
    Last edited by cogadh; August 2nd, 2007 at 03:55 PM.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast