Thread: black bars flash across screen in fullscreen video

Beans

black bars flash across screen in fullscreen video

I've got a mythbuntu 10.10 box connected to my TV; sometimes I want to use it to watch internet TV. However, when I try to resize videos to full-screen, sometimes black bars intermittently flash across the entire screen. This does not happen when the video is in a window or on the web page, only when going into full-screen mode. Unfortunately, on some of these sites, even the "large" in-page video selection is still too small to be comfortably watched from the couch.

I'd suspect it's something with Flash, but a similar thing happens when I'm using Skype inside a Windows XP on VMware. Black bars flashing across when in "full-screen" but just fine when zoomed up inside a window. And I don't think VMware video output is Flash-based. So it may be something else entirely.

Also, this doesn't happen on all internet video - I've only had it happen on video from NBC.com and NFL.com (I haven't really had the opportunity or reason to try many other sites yet), and it was only a little noticeable from the NFL.com but nearly unwatchable from NBC. Yet if I go to YouTube, I have no trouble getting any of their videos running full-screen.

I have an integrated GeForce 8200 graphics, and I'm running the NVIDIA proprietary drivers version 256. I'm not running 260 since its VDPAU capability is questionable, and I need that for MythTV. I have a 64-bit system.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding this? The fact that I'm getting consistently good results from YouTube yet consistently bad ones from the TV networks makes me wonder if it's something I'm even going to be able to fix.

Thanks,
    -Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: black bars flash across screen in fullscreen video

Try Flash-Aid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks!, Had this problem last year and worked around it last year. It is good to see there is now a tool!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    I downloaded and installed that using Wizard mode, no difference. I guess I'll look at what the more advanced options are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thanks, I had different issue, but this solved it