Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

I'm sure we all play free software/open source games, I myself have been enjoying Freedoom. What about actual games you can buy, like the kind in stores? One rule, using Wine does NOT count, it has to be native. Source ports, count though.

I recently bought Ultimate Doom on my Windows partition as a digital download. Thanks to PrBoom, I'm happily enjoying the classic on my Ubuntu partition. I also own a Windows copy of Quake 3, and I'm using ioquake3 to play it.

I also own Doom 3 and Quake 4 for Windows (heh, I'm an id fan ) and I know id provides binaries for Linux, though you need a Windows copy. I haven't played them since my desktop broke. My laptop has an Intel GMA965, though I did try Doom 3 on it.

Just wondering, does anyone else play any "bought" games on Ubuntu? I'm curious and I'd like to know what other games were made to be Linux compatible. 8)

Beans

Re: Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

Doom3 and all three humble-bundles.
    I also play all the half-life games and portal through steam (using wine) and Oblivion, Bioshock and Civ4 using wine. Have others, but these get semi-regular play.
    I would buy more native games but there still aren't that many ports. The humble bundles have been great as you get to try a lot of games cheaply that I doubt I ever would have bought separately. I even went back and paid more for what I already had after the second bundle proved so much fun...
    Last edited by jacksaff; July 31st, 2011 at 06:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Well, I often play World of Goo and occasionally Volley Brawl. I'd be happy to get more games, but none of the others for Linux are exactly what I like. I'm a huge Valve fan, and I love stuff like their Half-Life/Portal series, but they aren't made for Linux, just Windows, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360. Fortunately, there is Wine which works fine with all of them, but at the cost of a lot of speed and a few graphics defects. (but a Steam for Linux is rumored to be happening, and there's a bit of strong evidence to prove it)
    Full time Ubuntu user
    The history of Tux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Post Re: Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

Got around 60+ game titles for linux. Most of them indie Games.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Doom 3, Quake 4, Unreal tournament (original and 2004), Quakewars.
    Used to own a copy of Gorky 17 but I have no idea where the disc is now.

Thats for store games. Got a decent share of indie games I bought over the internet too (Steel storm, conquest, all the humble bundles)

Been meaning to get one of the X games.

Beans

I have all of the indie bundles, and I bought steel storm: burning retribution through the ubuntu software center. I also have Doom3, and have played it occasionally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    Doom 3, Quake 4, Unreal tournament (original and 2004), Quakewars.
    Used to own a copy of Gorky 17 but I have no idea where the disc is now.

Thats for store games. Got a decent share of indie games I bought over the internet too (Steel storm, conquest, all the humble bundles)

Been meaning to get one of the X games.
    You know, I actually remember playing Unreal Tournament 2004 on my old desktop in Ubuntu 8.04. I haven't installed it since it takes up like 6GB of disc space.

I also have Unreal Torunament (the original), but it's the Unreal Anthology for Windows. It's a great bundle since I dual-boot Windows, but bugs me that Tux is on back and there's no native installer.

To add, the UT2004 I was talking about earlier was an original Atari copy, not from the Anthology. I also have UT2003, but again, Windows version.

As for this bundle everyone is talking, maybe I should check it out and read more about it. I read about it on the FSF blog (find it odd they mention it, since most bought games are proprietary).

Beans

Heroes of Newerth
    Savage 2
    Oil Rush
    Achron
    Amnesia
    Penumbra
    Regnum (ok, technicaly i dint buy the game, but i play and arleady bough some premium things)
    Tibia (had premmy account, once again dint technicaly buy the actual game)
    Shadowground
    Trine
    Family Farm
    World of Goo
    Humble Indie Bundle 3 games.. even though they're horrible

And i prolly forget a few here... but well, thats a decent list, and dint mention the free games either

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I bought HoN specifically because it was native on Linux.
    Someone call a doctor to crack open my rib cage and repair my broken heart...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

First two Humble Bundles, and will probably get the third just to support indies, even though the games don't look all that great. Also purchased Steel Storm and SpaceChem through USC. And I have NWN working natively on Linux, if that counts.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast