Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

I bought the Unreal Anthology too and was pretty annoyed that there was no native installer. In the end I had to do something of a hack to get UT2004 to work. There were instructions online.

I also bought Return To Castle Wolfenstein. The "Game Of The Year" edition, which also required some hackery compared to the normal edition.

I don't play either anymore - I believe Unreal Tournament 2004 works well in Wine with one registry key change, but I think RTCW is a write-off these days.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the original steel storm is free now & v good
    If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Unreal Tournament 2004
    World of Goo
    World of Warcraft (I know this breaks the rules, however, Blizzard does actually make an attempt to make sure it works in Wine, which is more than I can say for most game companies.)
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent
    Prey
    Machinarium

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I bought the Unreal Anthology too and was pretty annoyed that there was no native installer.
    Tux on back is just false advertising. I do play UT99 on Windows, but Linux compatibility is just nice.

I can add another one to Doom, Quake 3, Doom 3, Quake 4, and UT2004 (original). Duke Nukem 3D. I bought it from an online store called Good Old Games or GOG, and they sell DRM-free games for Windows only. The best part is the fact GOG wraps older DOS games with DOSBox.

That said, the game works with DOSBox on Ubuntu since it's just a DOS version. Being DRM-free, it works out perfectly. 8)

I'm counting it since I can use DOSBox natively in Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.wortman
    World of Warcraft (I know this breaks the rules, however, Blizzard does actually make an attempt to make sure it works in Wine, which is more than I can say for most game companies.)
    Wait, Blizzard actually makes sure it works with Wine. I know it breaks the rule, but that's the first time I ever heard of a company supporting Wine.
    Last edited by LinuxFox; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFox View Post
    You know, I actually remember playing Unreal Tournament 2004 on my old desktop in Ubuntu 8.04. I haven't installed it since it takes up like 6GB of disc space.

I also have Unreal Torunament (the original), but it's the Unreal Anthology for Windows. It's a great bundle since I dual-boot Windows, but bugs me that Tux is on back and there's no native installer.

To add, the UT2004 I was talking about earlier was an original Atari copy, not from the Anthology. I also have UT2003, but again, Windows version.

As for this bundle everyone is talking, maybe I should check it out and read more about it. I read about it on the FSF blog (find it odd they mention it, since most bought games are proprietary).
    You can get installers for the UT series of games from loki

http://liflg.org/

I havent installed one since I upgraded a couple of months ago but I managed to get them working in the end on my old Karmic set up. I see no reason why it cant be done on newer releases with a little tweaking. All you need is the windows disk and the loki installer.

I think UT2003 came with a linux installer on disc 3 but it didnt work so loki made a working one.

Happy fragging

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I bought Quake 4 and World of Goo. The only times I've ever used my Q4 discs is to copy the pk4s and such. When I had Windows, the installer wouldn't run for whatever reason.

Beans

We have the exact games, except not civ4, I havent played any of the civs but im also running Fallout as well as Oblivion and all counter strike package 1.6 CZ CSS + Half2, My Alice madness returns didnt work /cry <girlfriend was pee'd> and ive also just put Neocron 2 on which im having a problem with.. Apparently its free now, and as far as it goes ive never played any of the Quakes, and tibia... back in the day...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I've considered a few, but the only one I yet have is X-Plane.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Just wondering, does anyone play any "bought" games on Ubuntu?

I enjoy playing the Humble Bundles 1, 2 and 3 which are all paid for...

Beans
    Hidden!

Got all the Humble Indie Bundles... as well as Steel Storm (before it was part of the 3rd Humble Bundle) and I also bought Valley Brawl for the lolz...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast