Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mogwai (aka Linux Mint Sid)

The remastersys problem involves conflicting initramfs pkgs, I posted a link to a workaround in post #1. I just created an iso and installed it, but I had to use the failsafe option to do it and it ran grub but didn't seem to install it correctly in the mbr, but other grub can see it. (Maybe I accidently selected the install to partition option).

Had to downgrade gdm3 to gdm, must use the Remastersys installer app

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    You lost me there, please elaborate?
    Your location info puts you in South Africa. The name Mogwai is from African culture.

Beans

The remastersys problem involves conflicting initramfs pkgs, I posted a link to a workaround in post #1
    Ok thanks for that ..... will check it out ..... I have just downloaded remastersys_2.0.20-1_all.deb

will be running it shortly ..ty

Beans
    Distro

I used 2.0.23-1, have no idea where I found it. Had to run it from the command line.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbowman57 View Post
    Your location info puts you in South Africa. The name Mogwai is from African culture.
    Never heard of it in a african context and Google does not find anything either. Only reference to Mogwai in culture I could fine is in Chinese culture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogwai_(Chinese_culture) but that's on a different continent.

We've got Tokoloshes down here
    Last edited by mips; July 31st, 2011 at 01:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Never heard of it in a african context and Google does not find anything either. Only reference to Mogwai in culture I could fine is in Chinese culture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogwai_(Chinese_culture) but that's on a different continent.

That's the oddest thing. I looked it up a couple months ago and that's what came up.

Very strange.

There was also the name & link to the movie Gremlins. Oh well, still like the name, might as well stick with it.
    Last edited by cbowman57; July 31st, 2011 at 01:54 PM.

Beans

ok thanks for the version number .....

I will try with the -20 first and see what happens as its installed and running now

using the fix from the LINK that you posted ty

ok its running quite happily at the moment .... the speed this goes it will be ready well
    after my sunday lunch is cooked ....... .....

Ok finished now .... 1.4 Gig .... reasonable size ..... now to see if it works .... ?

ok loaded k3b up and that has gone in ok .... loading lots of other packages too as its
    kde based ..... but the disk is burning ..... will reboot as soon as it finishes to see if we have
    a working Dvd

Goes all the way through to the point where it should load the desktop up ..... but .....
    Failed on the live boot ..... re FAIL comes up alongside it .... orange warnings also against squashfs ?

Ok tried it on another laptop
    and it goes in ,,,, but only in safe mode ...... which is to be expected as I set it for Nvidia
    and this is a S3 graphics card ..... but itts running from the CD .....

will try it on my main system now .....

ok no go ...... * if I was to try this again .......

Use the 32 bit debian 10
    distribution upgrade .... 810 Meg
    load in the graphic drivers for Nvidia
    set the repositories as outlined in this thread

remastersys ..... -20 works ..... and boots into safe mode ok ,,, problem graphics card on my laptop
    bizarre .... but obviously its because it was not the Nvidia but a S3 that it worked and fell into
    fallback mode .....

so just double check the transitional package thats the fix to the rematersys problem first ..... is it ok ?

Then do a version where we remove the xorg.conf ........ to force it to work in low graphics mode
    first ......

I can try this now actually ..... just by

mv xorg.conf xorg.confold

then after move it back again

mv xorg.confold xorg.conf
    ( message to me put this back again before re-booting )

May give this one more go ....

need a treat now - creme brulee .... yummmmm

ok that was nice ,,,,,

Back to it ..... the Dvd with low resolution i.e no xorg.conf is burning now ..... lets see if it throws a error up
    the xorg.conf can be added after a install - thats if this will install of course .... as I have not tried that yet.

But we have got a up to date Debian with all the files and repositories on now that are needed for Gnome-Shell

Interesting failing on the desktop ..... not enough memory 512 Meg ....

But the other Acer Aspire 1355 LC laptop ,,,,, it runs but as expected and drops into fallback gnome ,,,,

ok next problem the debian installer does not run ..... but

I have noticed there is a remastersys installer ..... now I have never seen this before .....

So first thing ..... will do some research ..... see what screenshots there are of it functioning first ,,,

The thing I cannot see is where it is going to put the MBR and the GRUB ...... ?

I am re-sizing a partition for it now .... will see what happens ... as it could save me a lot of downloading of updates etc.

The partitioner is ok if you have set your system up for it - it makes it easy ...

It does ask where you would like the MBR ..... two options were given for me .....

Ok we have a success ...... it can be done this way

I now have a successful install and no errors .....
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; July 31st, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Only reference to Mogwai in culture I could fine is in Chinese culture
    They're a great post-rock Scottish band, too.

Beans
    Distro

@Keith; Yeah, you end up having to use the Remastersys installer.

@Winelord; yeah, I saw that.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, I revised & corrected the origin of the name in post #1. Don't know how I made that error when I was going through the search engines, too many open tabs maybe.

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast