Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    14

    Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    I am trying to install Ember on 11.04-64bit. I can find very little support for Ember from their website. When I try to install by typing:
    ./Ember-0.6.1.1

    I get this error:

    ./Ember-0.6.1.1: error while loading shared libraries: libfuse.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

    Are there any suggestions for getting this to work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Beans
    195
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    you said you're on a 64-bit system and then you said you're installing a 32 bit app and then you said the error is that it's the wrong ELF class "ELFCLASS64".

    Sooooo, that means, your 32-bit application can't use a 64 bit library and that's just the way it is.

    you can still try to run it if you have the 32-bit library. I have it.
    file /lib/libfuse.so.2.8.4
    /lib/libfuse.so.2.8.4: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

    If you have it, set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /lib and try it again. Just type...

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib

    from wikipedia:
    $LD_LIBRARY_PATH On many Unix systems with a dynamic linker, contains a colon-separated list of directories that the dynamic linker should search for shared objects when building a process image after exec, before searching in any other directories.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    14

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    My lib is 64bit. So is there anyway to install the 32bit lib?

    file /lib/libfuse.so.2.8.4
    /lib/libfuse.so.2.8.4: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Beans
    2,180
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    Quote Originally Posted by YellowHammer View Post
    My lib is 64bit. So is there anyway to install the 32bit lib?

    file /lib/libfuse.so.2.8.4
    /lib/libfuse.so.2.8.4: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
    Try getlibs:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install getlibs
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo getlibs ./Ember-0.6.1.1
    Or:
    Code:
    sudo getlibs -l libfuse.so

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    14

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    Can't locate getlibs....


    Code:
    michael@umichael:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install getlibs
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package getlibs

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Beans
    2,180
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    Quote Originally Posted by YellowHammer View Post
    Can't locate getlibs....


    Code:
    michael@umichael:~/Downloads$ sudo apt-get install getlibs
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package getlibs
    Hmmm... Weird. I can't remember installing it in my system, but I have it... Must have gotten it from some ppa I'm not using anymore...
    The only place I can find it is here: http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy/ and a thread about it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    411
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    you need ia32-libs on a 64-Bit system

    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    14

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    you need ia32-libs on a 64-Bit system

    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    Thanks. I had already done this, but it did not fix it. I tried again just in case, and still didn't work.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    14

    Re: Installing 32bit app. Wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64

    Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Hmmm... Weird. I can't remember installing it in my system, but I have it... Must have gotten it from some ppa I'm not using anymore...
    The only place I can find it is here: http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy/ and a thread about it here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790

    Perfect. Thank you!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •