Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: obnoxious keyring, password three times, blah blah blah

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy obnoxious keyring, password three times, blah blah blah

So like a lot of people seem to have done, I tried to make it so I don't have to enter my password (Why is this so hard? I don't want to have to enter my password!). I marked "Do not ask on login" -- okay, great. Right? No. Like those same people, I found out that in exchange for the "convenience" of not having to enter my password once, I now have to enter it three times. Stupid stupid stupid. No, that's not my password, that's my sentiment. Anyway.

I read the solutions, turns out you need to enter your password like a chump if you don't want that dumb keyring popping up. So I went to "Users and Groups" and clicked the "Change" button. The little box for requiring on login is already unchecked. Whatever. So I tried maybe changing my password, and checking and unchecking the box, just to see if the changes took.

Sidenote, hilariously, if you change your password to add a "1" to the end just for the sake of changing it, Ubuntu has no problems. But if you then try to change it back to remove the "1" -- turns out that's too similar to your last password, and you can't change it back. So you need a third throwaway password to use between them. How dumb is that?

Anyway, point is: Every time I start up now, it still logs me in automatically (convenient!) and then asks me for my password three times (retarded!). How the hell do I fix this? I'm fine entering my password on login if that's what it takes to avoid this big pile of stupid, but it doesn't seem to want to work. Alas.

It's Natty, if you needs to know. Let me know if you need any other info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: obnoxious keyring, password three times, blah blah blah

if you set the password as null (blank/empty) it will shut up, but anyone with access to the system can get your passwords (empathy/mail-notification/evolution mail/wifi)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    if you set the password as null (blank/empty) it will shut up, but anyone with access to the system can get your passwords (empathy/mail-notification/evolution mail/wifi)
    I think I tried that once and it said I couldn't do it. But I'll try again. Also, I know that the user password and the keyring password are only the same when you set them at initial setup, and if I do make the user password blank, how do I also blank the keyring password?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyThirteen View Post
    I think I tried that once and it said I couldn't do it. But I'll try again. Also, I know that the user password and the keyring password are only the same when you set them at initial setup, and if I do make the user password blank, how do I also blank the keyring password?
    Don't set your login password blank, that won't help you at all. (besides that would be really unsafe thing to do if you are using an admin account!)

Just set the keyring password as blank instead. That makes the Gnome Keyring store things in unencrypted format, avoiding the need to unlock the keyring when programs try to access data from it. it's less safe than keepin g the keys encrypted when you are not logged in, but since you want to use automatic login such things probably aren't a lot opf concern to you anyway.

You can use the "PAsswords and Encryption Keys"-tool found in the System Settings to change your keyring password. just right-clcik on the default keyring, select "Change Password", type in the current password and set the fields for new one empty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try the PAM usb module. When in need of unlocking your keyring just pop in your usb stick. That's much more safer than leaving the passwords unencrypted!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

mcduck's solution works fine thanks.
    I have a security question. (a bit newby)
    I have no security issues locally (home) but ...
    If I auto login and have keyring blank am I more open to attack from outside as well?
    Is it easier to go into my system from outside this way (considering "they" don't know my password?

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the responses, it's working great now. I left the login password alive (so I still need it for system changes and software installs, which is perfect) and the keyring blank. It's not a super security risk for me, because nobody but me has physical access to this computer, which is why I found the password situation inconvenient.

For my publicly accessible computer, I just encrypt the whole OS with TrueCrypt.

Beans

blank passwords and circumvention of the security model will just bring you back to the forum with support issues relating to the fact that elevated privelege is their all the time beause it doesnt require authentication.

Security is a process not a product or setting, continual vigilence and awareness is needed all the time to prevent possible attacks, malware and basic everyday task going a wry from not using least privelege.

Best to learn to love the security and requirement to enter credentials for authentication rather than have to learn to recover from a trashed system
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyThirteen View Post
    Thank you for the responses, it's working great now. I left the login password alive (so I still need it for system changes and software installs, which is perfect) and the keyring blank. It's not a super security risk for me, because nobody but me has physical access to this computer, which is why I found the password situation inconvenient.

For my publicly accessible computer, I just encrypt the whole OS with TrueCrypt.

it is not just about physcial access remember, it is also about processes and remote execution.

But at least you havent made your account password blank so dont get lulled into that aswell
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lailokenwiz View Post
    mcduck's solution works fine thanks.
    I have a security question. (a bit newby)
    I have no security issues locally (home) but ...
    If I auto login and have keyring blank am I more open to attack from outside as well?
    Is it easier to go into my system from outside this way (considering "they" don't know my password?
    Just like haqking said.. removing your password leaves your system/keyring/anything else pretty much vulnerable.
    Like I said use the pam usb modules or something similar but DON'T leave your password "blank"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast