Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer files from W7 to Ubuntu Server? (rsync is very slow)

Beans

Transfer from W7 to Ubuntu Server? (WinSCP and rsync also very slow)

I recently dove into Linux for the first time with Ubuntu Server (11.04). I had some difficulty with my install on a HP Proliant Microserver, but I'm up and running now.

Right now I have several TBs of media on my Windows 7 machine which I would like to move to my Proliant Ubuntu Server.

Initially, I tried using rsync first but only with mounted W7 drives. I couldn't figure out the command line for rsync across the network for some reason. So the transfer was between the local Ubuntu Server drive and the locally mounted W7 drive. This however was painfully and abnormally slow and I gave up on it. Figured it was better served after everything was transferred anyway.

I then figured since I could browse Ubuntu from my W7 machine across the network (smb is setup and mostly configured), I would just copy the files over to the Ubuntu Server that way.

Except that I had an error about permissions. So my W7 machine did not have permission to write to the Ubuntu Server drives and I'm not sure how to set those permissions in Ubuntu.

For now, I mounted the W7 drive again and using Webmin did a copy and paste between the mounted W7 drive and the local Ubuntu drive. Much, much faster than rsync but I still feel like it's not as fast as it could be. My router (Netgear WNDR3700) is gigabit and the NICs on my Proliant and W7 machine are also gigabit.

Any pointers on what I should be looking at?
    Or how I could change permissions on the Ubuntu Server to allow my W7 machine to transfer files to it? Would that be faster than what I'm doing now (mounting the W7 drive first and copying via webmin)?
    Last edited by lessblue; August 9th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Transfer files from W7 to Ubuntu Server? (rsync is very slow)

I've used WinSCP to copy from XP to Ubuntu Server. Worked great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    I've used WinSCP to copy from XP to Ubuntu Server. Worked great.
    Thank you, I installed it on my W7 machine, connected to the Ubuntu server and tried to copy files over via the WinSCP Explorer interface. This is the error I got from WinSCP:

Permission denied.
    Error code: 3
    Error message from server: Permission denied
    Request code: 14

I had a file permission issue come up in W7 when I tried to copy directly from my W7 machine to the Ubuntu server over the network as well.

Would someone kindly help me figure out setting permissions on the Ubuntu side to let W7 write to my Ubuntu drives?

Beans

Well, I enabled the root account this time and logged in with WinSCP using root and now am able to copy.

Speed seems very slow though. Transferring a 6.5GB file and it says 35 mins remaining and transferring at about 3,000 KiB/s.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You tried copying them to your /home/<username>/ directory?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    You tried copying them to your /home/<username>/ directory?
    I created a mydata directory at the root partition and within it created folders for each drive-partition in the server. The Ubuntu Servers drives are mounted there.

So I'm copying from my W7 machine to /mydata/hdb1 which is the first partition of the second disk (2TB) in the Ubuntu server.

I tried switching the protocol from SFTP to SCP this time at login and speed is slightly slower now, ~2,700 KiB/s.

There must be a faster way to transfer, everything is gigabit. I just can't figure it out.
    Last edited by lessblue; August 9th, 2011 at 01:51 AM.

Beans

Are you running over a wired network or a wireless one?

I have the same setup -- Ubuntu Box with Drives accessible by Windows computers -- and I can transfer a 6.5GB chunk of pictures from my Vista machine to my Ubuntu server at 20-25MB/sec. The kicker is that I have my place wired with a Gigabit switch so everything is fast.

A wireless N will max out at 300Mb/sec. Keeping in mind that this is the ideal situation, you're more likely to see 150Mb/sec speeds. So, depending on your setup, you might have a bottleneck.

Edit -- sorry, I just noticed your last post says everything is gigabit. Thus, my post is really useless.

Beans

Yeah, everything is gigabit and both computers are directly wired to the Netgear router.

I was expecting speeds at least in the range you mentioned, 20-25 MB/sec.

How are you transferring the files between your windows and ubuntu boxes?
    Last edited by lessblue; August 9th, 2011 at 09:43 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lessblue View Post
    Yeah, everything is gigabit and both computers are directly wired to the Netgear router.

I was expecting speeds at least in the range you mentioned, 20-25 MB/sec.

How are you transferring the files between your windows and ubuntu boxes?
    My Ubuntu server has Samba running with 3 shares. All the shares are mounted at /mydata like you mentioned. I have a user created on my server with my name, Garfonzo. Then, on my Vista box, I use the same username and password (Garfonzo). That way I avoid dealing with multiple users and whatever. I know it isn't ideal, but it is my house and it was easy to not deal with multiple users for Samba.

I have the server and the house WinXP computers all on the same WorkGroup. This is important. I've noticed that a Win7 computer can still see all the computers on the LAN even if the Win7 computer is not on the same Workgroup. So, slap the all computers on the network on the same workgroup.

On my Vista box, I open up "Network Places" and view all computers on the Workgroup. When my server pops up, I double click it and see that the shares are there, looking like network drives. Then I map these network drives to drive letters on my Vista box. That way I have easy access to all my server data. When I want to transfer stuff to the server, I just drag and drop from the Vista box over to the mapped network drive. Although I have used WinSCP in other scenarios, I don't use it at home. Drag-n-drop works fine.

Some things you may want to try:
    • Put server and Win7 machine on same workgroup (edit smb.conf WORKGROUP area)
    • Use the exact same username and password on the Win7 machine as the server. Log into that user name account on the Win7 machine and try to connect to the server.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by garfonzo View Post
    My Ubuntu server has Samba running with 3 shares. All the shares are mounted at /mydata like you mentioned. I have a user created on my server with my name, Garfonzo. Then, on my Vista box, I use the same username and password (Garfonzo). That way I avoid dealing with multiple users and whatever. I know it isn't ideal, but it is my house and it was easy to not deal with multiple users for Samba.

I have the server and the house WinXP computers all on the same WorkGroup. This is important. I've noticed that a Win7 computer can still see all the computers on the LAN even if the Win7 computer is not on the same Workgroup. So, slap the all computers on the network on the same workgroup.

On my Vista box, I open up "Network Places" and view all computers on the Workgroup. When my server pops up, I double click it and see that the shares are there, looking like network drives. Then I map these network drives to drive letters on my Vista box. That way I have easy access to all my server data. When I want to transfer stuff to the server, I just drag and drop from the Vista box over to the mapped network drive. Although I have used WinSCP in other scenarios, I don't use it at home. Drag-n-drop works fine.

Some things you may want to try:
    • Put server and Win7 machine on same workgroup (edit smb.conf WORKGROUP area)
    • Use the exact same username and password on the Win7 machine as the server. Log into that user name account on the Win7 machine and try to connect to the server.
    My setup is pretty much exactly the same. I did edit the smb.conf file to match the workgroup. I use the same username and password on all my computers at home to make networking easier.

The problem I have is drag and drop doesn't work because I don't have the permissions set it seems on my Ubuntu box to allow my W7 machine to write to it. If I can figure this out it would probably fix my transfer speed problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast