Thread: Question about dual booting

Beans

Question about dual booting

Hello forum, I've been dual-booting for about 3 years. Suddenly, my Vista(I know) partition began acting strange. I was wondering if there is anyway to re-install Vista without touching the Ubuntu partition?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Question about dual booting

Is this a proper partitioned dual boot or a wubi installation of ubuntu inside windows?

If you have the two systems on different partitions you can go ahead and re-install vista, which will probably not even see the ubuntu partitions. Just to be safe, however, make sure you have backups of everything first.

Once installed, you will find that windows has taken over where grub used to be so restore grub by following the instructions on the Grub2 basics link in my signature
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gmg2000 View Post
    Hello forum, I've been dual-booting for about 3 years. Suddenly, my Vista(I know) partition began acting strange. I was wondering if there is anyway to re-install Vista without touching the Ubuntu partition?
    If you have Vista install DVD, why not just do a repair install instead? That will leave the apps and your files/settings intact.

For instructions on how to do that, go to the following:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html?filter[3]=Installation and Setup

The instructions are for Win7 but the process is the same for Vista.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

thanks for the information.