Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting Banshee: the reasons why

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Post Quitting Banshee: the reasons why

Dear all, this message was originally submitted to the Banshee forum, where it's publication has not been accepted. I believe it is important to register user experience with software as an indispensable path to improve it.

Dear Banshee fellowship,

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 two months ago and have been using Banshee since. I'm giving it up and going back to Rhythmbox. Here I lay the problems that lead me to do so, may it help improve Banshee in the future.

First 5 seconds of the track are not audible

This happened the first time I used Banshee and it repeated many times during the first week of use. When you click play on some file the time starts increasing but the sound only comes at about 5 seconds into the track, missing these first moments of music. With time it became less and less frequent; I have no idea what may be causing this.

Tracks on disconnected hard drives

I have music files spread across several hard drives and operating systems, that I use at work and at home. When inadvertently a file from a disconnected hard drive is brought on play Banshee doesn't play any music but it doesn't emit an error message either, it's up to you to figure out what's wrong. Rhymthbox simply hides files in its playlist that are not available at the moment; when a remote hard drive is re-connected it automatically re-lists any files that may be stored there. Also, if Rhymthbox can't read a file for some reason it emits an error message (usually not very helpful but at least you know something's wrong).

Duplicate file names

After about one month of usage Banshee started listing some files in duplicate. It took me quite a while to understand what is causing this: sometimes Ubuntu fails to unmout remote hard drives leaving unused directories at /media. When this happens Ubuntu remounts the drive the next time with a “_” sufix to its name, e.g. “myDrive_”. The result: Banshee double lists files at “myDrive” and “myDrive_”. At this time some tracks are now listed in triplicate and the playlist has now dozens of thousands of files. This is the main reason why I'm quitting Banshee, since there's no easy way to simply clean these duplicates. This was never a problem with Rhythmbox, perhaps because it never lists files in drives it can't access.

Play stops unexpectedly

This has become quite frequent, and may be a consequence of the duplicate and triplicate listing, though it happens with radios too. Banshee simply stops playing at the end of some random track without any error message; imagine there is a 10 track LP, you start playing the first track and it goes down to the 7th or 8th and then simply stops. Though with files you can restart the playing, with radios this usually requires a restart to Banshee.

Visually Banshee is surely an improvement over Rhythmbox, but it still has a few degrees to climb before reaching the same level of maturity.

Best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Quitting Banshee: the reasons why

My main problem with Banshee was that .ogg files skipped 3 or 4 times per song.

Like you, I've gone back to rhythmbox.

Beans

It's not a big move to be honest, and be prepared to make it more often. And like with all linux software you go into your software center, download a few at the time, test them out, and remove the ones you don't like. And remember that it's no crime to use more than one program for music. I use both vlc and gnome-mplayer for videos and podcasts. After that you keep your eye on the buntu blogs for new players and releases.

Your right about user response but rants in the banshee forums is not the way to do it. It's not that your opinion doesn't matter or that they ignore you in any way but that it's a waste of time for both writer and reader. Post short posts with questions about how to solve your problem, and if stuck join their irc chat room and ask there. Another method is to search through their bug list. And remember that on many projects people are using their spare time on it since that's the nature of free open source programs.

And test out clementine, it's the best music player to date in my humble view.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lads View Post
    ...Banshee simply stops playing at the end of some random track without any error message...
    When a program does something wrong without error messages, check $(HOME)/.xsession-errors. This files keeps track of the error messages produced by the programs launched from a dock, a menu, or at startup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lads View Post
    Dear all, this message was originally submitted to the Banshee forum, where it's publication has not been accepted.
    Banshee doesn't have a forum but a mailing list. I'll have to see some proof of your statement that Banshee developers censored your opinion.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mpiter View Post
    When a program does something wrong without error messages, check $(HOME)/.xsession-errors. This files keeps track of the error messages produced by the programs launched from a dock, a menu, or at startup.
    That is irrelevant for a desktop user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by del_diablo View Post
    That is irrelevant for a desktop user.
    I do not understand. I use Gnome 2 (Ubuntu Classic in Natty) with Compiz and Emerald, and my .xsession-errors is filled as it used to be. Am I not a desktop user? If not, what is a desktop user?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I too went back to rhythmbox after using Banshee for ages. The reason being Banshee and Easytag (Mp3 ID3 tagger) are both fine on my desktop but fail to "Fit to screen" on my netbook, I am unsure why but suspect being mono based to be at fault.
    Linux Mint 12 (11.10 Based) Gnome 3.0 User

Beans

The original message was posted on the forum interface of our mailing-list :
    http://banshee.fm/support/forum/

Messages posted there have to be manually moderated before they are sent to the mailing-list, which creates a delay. But I think they are visible immediately through the forum interface.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My main issue with Banshee is that is slow and bloated. For a music player it should not take so long to load initially. I have been using Banshee for about a year now, and have always advocated for it, but I think I am going to switch to something else. There are plenty of music players that have a similar feature set, but don't take 7 days to startup.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast