Thread: Open Source Software that costs money?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Open Source Software that costs money?

Is it possible for software to be open source and cost money? I'm pretty sure I've seen it before (Lugaru) though I have no idea what you would call it? I'm interested though...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Open Source Software that costs money?

Open source just means that you get both the source and the binaries. That doesn't mean anything about the license, except that you are forced to distribute the source code along with the binaries. You can actually charge them, and forbid their distribution.

As for actual paying open source software, I'm not sure. I know that mandriva sells stuff, and that the actual OS is open source. But I think the OS itself is free, and maybe the software they sell isn't open source.

Maybe have a look at it. Or maybe there.

Actually even 'free' software can be charged. The free means freedom. That said, while you can distribute free software for a fee, I'm not sure it can have a lot of success, since the user could also distribute it... for free.

Beans

Re: Open Source Software that costs money?

I know its certainly possible to turn an open source project into one that costs money.
    Such as:
    - An email client (I forgot what it's called) based off Thunderbird
    - Some versions of Zorin OS (based on Ubuntu)
    - etc. I know there are a lot.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Open Source Software that costs money?

Actually even 'free' software can be charged. The free means freedom. That said, while you can distribute free software for a fee, I'm not sure it can have a lot of success, since the user could also distribute it... for free.
    Well that wouldn't be a huge problem I mean most people would rather pay for something than steal it, I know this for a fact because I remember finding a free version of minecraft and no one wanted to use it, I'd charge very little too so that it wouldn't be a huge deal, like a dollar or two just so that I could actually make a profit, In App Purchases and Add-Ons/Expansion Packs would be a possibility as well. So what if I used the LGPL license instead of the GPL license would that allow it to be open source and cost money?

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: Open Source Software that costs money?

also tell me what you think of this: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Lugaru-goes-open-source