Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is linux, including Ubuntu, so far behind with the GUI desktop????

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why is linux, including Ubuntu, so far behind with the GUI desktop????

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    I'm kinda curious; what would you suggest, other than a desktop full of icons like android/iOS?
    Well, a clean desktop, and a button to make it full of icons. Everybody is doing it, Apple, Ubuntu, Gnome...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    Well, a clean desktop, and a button to make it full of icons. Everybody is doing it, Apple, Ubuntu, Gnome...
    sorry, could have phrased that better. I replied to another user maligning the "Start Button" usage in linux, and implying that we should all be past that paradigm. that subject was (I thought) implicit in my statement as quoted. I do in fact prefer a clean desktop.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Now I see the videos for Windows 8 and by all appearances they are truly departing from their startmenu/dock(whatever they call it)
    Looks like a mess, all it is, is the Windows Phone look which looks awful. If anything Windows is actually REGRESSING from a computer to a smartphone. Unity's a lot cooler than Windows 7 or Mac OSX 10.whatever. You can't compare Unity to stuff that's in development, Ubuntu 11.11 is the next release look into that because essentially that's our 'windows 8' while Ubuntu 11.04 would be more like 'windows 7' timewise.
    really? Kubuntu doesn't have a launchbar does it? (been with Ubuntu for while now)
    Why would it? It's designed to be more of a traditional look really. If Kubuntu had a dock I think they're would be mass out-rage, Kubuntu is more for people who don't like the look of regular Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

With the exception of jolicloud and Natty, I am not aware of any distro that even deviates from the Windows style start button and menus.
    Jolicloud just looks like Chromium OS with some cool add-ons, it might be flashy but what can it actually do?

Beans

I feel that its good the beginning configuration looks like Windows.

Newbies get a familiar desktop, while old hats can tweak the life out of it.

Also, if you don't like an element, you can just replace it.

This is the best compromise to make people happy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    What?? In my opinion, the GUI/desktop is the one thing they got right. From what I've seen, they've been ahead of the times on visual effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inodoro Pereyra View Post
    Hmmm, well, I completely agree with Forrestcup. I LOVE the Ubuntu GUI, just as it comes out of the box. I recently switched to 11.04, but my hardware can't run Unity, so I still have the traditional look.

If anything, the things I think could be improved with Ubuntu are 3:

1. The difficulty to install certain programs. If ALL programs were as easy to install in Ubuntu as they are in Windows, Bill Gates would be having nightmares right now.

2. I'd like to have the possibility of getting different backgrounds for each desktop. That'd make it much easier to know which desktop you're on.

3. I'd do some serious debugging on 11.04. 10.04 worked much better.

Other than that, I love the clean desktop, and I love the 3 buttons on the left. Makes it much more difficult to mistake them for the shut down function.
    I completely agree with all of these points. Honestly Windows is the absolute epitome of an interface that's behind the times. You don't even have to go any further than the 'Start' menu to prove that point.
    My Specs; AMD X6 3.3Ghz, 8 Gb Kingston HyperX RAM, Kingston 64Gb SSD & 3x 2Tb SATA3 Hdd,
    Xigmatek Aegir CPU Cooler, Gigabyte nvidia GeForce 460 GTX, ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3,
    Debian Squeeze [64-bit], Gnome

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by life in color View Post
    Jolicloud just looks like Chromium OS with some cool add-ons, it might be flashy but what can it actually do?
    It's a distro for those who use the web a lot, and it does its job well. I know people who never do anything outside their browser. Guess what I install for them.

Another advantage Jolicloud holds over Chrome OS, is that you can install native apps quite easily. Chrome OS computers certainly have the power, but for some reason Google decided against it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by life in color View Post
    Why would it? It's designed to be more of a traditional look really. If Kubuntu had a dock I think they're would be mass out-rage, Kubuntu is more for people who don't like the look of regular Ubuntu.
    KDE is the most customizable DE out there (some would say Gnome-shell, but customizing shell requires coding in JavaScript). KDE panels are more akin to dock than anything else and with the mass of widgets available you can get all the functionality. For all practical purposes the panel is a dock.

Only default KDE resembles the "traditional" windows view, but default KDE has been mimicking windows look for years (and while copying the look, they are staying way ahead in features).

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Checked out the Windows 8 video. Don't need it. Don't want it.

I love docky - the only thing that's visible on my desktop (besides the app). Simple is beautiful.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedancer View Post

I think Unity looks awesome (though I'm a Xubuntu user), and I even fixed up my Xubu desktop to emulate Unity's wicked-cool look and functionality.

Then why not just use the real thing?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast