Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confining the guest account using AppArmor

Beans
    Hidden!

Confining the guest account using AppArmor

I think a generic how-to-confine-guests-accounts using AppArmor is well due.

This is a follow-up solution to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11082813

The only (partial) walkthrough I have seen yet comes from no one other than the one and only bodhi.zazen:

What you would do is make a link to /bin/bash , I call it "jailbash"

Code:
    sudo ln /bin/bash /usr/local/jailbash
    You then change the users log in shell from bash to jailbash

Code:
    sudo chsh <user>
    Then, bodhi.zazen tells us an AppArmor profile for jailbash should be set up. He gives us an example of such a profile, which, he notes, "may be more or less restrictive than you want; you will need to adapt it to your needs." http://bodhizazen.net/aa-profiles/bo...l.bin.jailbash

The question is, does that profile apply to standard users and still is up to date?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Confining the guest account using AppArmor

Quote Originally Posted by twipley View Post
    The question is, does that profile apply to standard users and still is up to date?
    The basic principles are up to date, you will still need to manually review the jailbash profile.

Apparmor is a nice tool, easier to learn the selinux, but the down side is that you must maintain your own profiles.

Personally I have migrated to Fedora as I find selinux is more mature.

Fedora has what is called the xguest , which is a guest account confined by selinux .

selinux is harder to learn, but the selinux policies are activly maintained and there are very fine tools, graphical an otherwise, to help you learn and maintain your policies.

See : http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_boo...iosk_Mode.html
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; July 26th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, finger right on it, it is the maintenance cost that turns me down, for crying it out loud. Indeed, awesome for government profiles, but for the personal user, which is in-that-field quite non-knowledgeable, that approach is a little less viable.

In a few years from now on perhaps AppArmor will by default secure both Firefox and the guess account -- which would be awesome for the average end user.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, finger right on it, it is the maintenance cost that turns me down, for crying it out loud. Indeed, awesome for government profiles, but for the personal user, which is in-that-field quite non-knowledgeable, that approach is a little less viable.

In a few years from now on perhaps AppArmor will by default secure both Firefox and the guess account -- which would be awesome for the average end user.
    Apparmor is a nice start, but, IMO, it needs a few things.

There is a profile for firefox already.

What apparmor needs are :

1. A profile for each network aware application, from firefox to the weather applets.

2. A set of graphical tools to manage profiles and logs.

I would caution you, selinux is much more mature, so there is lsess a need to write profiles. BUT it is not perfect either.

Personally I confine all my users, but, that means I have to write a few policies. Now I have been using selinux since the days before apparmor, so I am familiar with managing it.

And there is also a bit of a learning curve with selinux.

I think a better question is, what makes you think a "personal user" needs such things ? At this time they do not.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    What AppArmor needs is a profile for each network aware application, from Firefox to the weather applets.
    Indeed. However, why limit the scope of it to "network-aware" applications? You know, if I downloaded a PDF file exploiting a vulnerability in the default PDF-viewer application, the system could be damaged up to the root, is not it? But, would "everything" need to be isolated from the rest of the system, or would that be "overkill?"

I think a better question is, what makes you think a "personal user" needs such things? At this time they do not.
    Well. Suppose I do manage by banking over the Internet. I would therefore want to ensure at great length that the system I am on is not compromised. Imagine someone sitting on his chair far away receiving the keys inputted over here, or seeing at distance what is on-screen happening over here. Such things should not happen, but they are happening, from what I have read -- such unethical practices!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Indeed. However, why limit the scope of it to "network-aware" applications? You know, if I downloaded a PDF file exploiting a vulnerability in the default PDF-viewer application, the system could be damaged up to the root, is not it? But, would "everything" need to be isolated from the rest of the system, or would that be "overkill?"
    Well, you sort of need to start with the network aware applications.

If just opening a file cause root compromise, they your OS has serious problems.

If you are concerned about such things you really should be running Fedora and using the sandbox, but such things are highly improbably if you are running Linux, this is not windows.

Well. Suppose I do manage by banking over the Internet. I would therefore want to ensure at great length that the system I am on is not compromised. Imagine someone sitting on his chair far away receiving the keys inputted over here, or seeing at distance what is on-screen happening over here. Such things should not happen, but they are happening, from what I have read -- such unethical practices!
    Well, internet banking has (at least) 3 points of venerability - your box, "the internet" connection, and the server you are connecting to.

At this time there are no know spyware applications or key loggers that run on Linux the way they do on Windows and honestly I think you can relax on that issue.

Your biggest potential problem would be your browser, and as I said there is an apparmor profile for firefox. You should use https (ssl) and NoScript.

Not much you can do about "the internet" except use https.

Not much you can do about your financial institution's servers, they seem to keep using Windows and flash >_<

Some day they will convert to a more secure OS and stop using javascript and flash, IMO there is no role for such things when it comes to financial transactions, certainly not at the expense of security.

Beans
    Hidden!

If just opening a file cause root compromise, they your OS has serious problems.
    Vulnerability exploits in a PDF-viewer application would be something imaginable, would not it be?

Not much you can do about your financial institution's servers, they seem to keep using Windows and flash >_<
    :facepalm:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Vulnerability exploits in a PDF-viewer application would be something imaginable, would not it be?
    All things are possible.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn

But going from an from a vulnerability to an exploit to root access, that would take some work.

As I said earlier, this is part of the reason I use Fedora, my users are confined by selinux and a user_u

If you have this level of paranoia, I suggest you do the same, writing an apparmor profile for each and every application is going to be impractical for you, and then who would review such profiles ?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...ing_Users.html

You will need to tweak the policies a bit if you confine your users, not too bad.

You may also like the selinux sandbox and xguest.

http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/1...th-Fedora.html

No reason you can not sandbox evince as well =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Some day they will convert to a more secure OS and stop using javascript and flash, IMO there is no role for such things when it comes to financial transactions, certainly not at the expense of security.
    Unfortunately, there's no financial incentive for them to change. As KrebsOnSecurity reports, banks turn to the courts to make it increasingly difficult for customers to sue them for bad security practices. (Unlike personal accounts, commercial accounts are exempt from reimbursement for losses due to online fraud.) Plus, banks rely on third parties to provide the security which further insulates them from having to share their customer's pain.

I've been building a custom remix of Ubuntu to use for eBanking that runs from a Live USB. Works great, and I plan on doing a writeup. I'd actually feel safe using this to access my bank from any PC -- in an Internet cafe, hotel lobby, or other unsafe location.
    The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there should be no difference but, in reality, there always is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

FYI at our last LUG meeting we discussed apparmor, and out of the discussion I posted a blog on how to generate a profile for an application, using privoxy as an example.

See : http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/app...ivoxy-profile/

Note: That blog assumes you are already familiar with the basics of apparmor.

Next month we are going to discuss selinux, so expect a blog about that next

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast