Thread: Best way to setup JDK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Best way to setup JDK

Read about three websites already which tell me to install jre and jdk, then tell me to edit files which are in folders which don't even exist??? Can someone walk me through default setup of jre and jdk?

Can you also tell me how to set the computer up, so that when ever it get's updates for openjdk, it doesn't uninstall sun-java6-jdk? Because in some past distros, I've installed sun-java6-jre and the system would uninstall it and use open-jdk instead.

Lastly I want to make sun my default java (player??? LOL, if that's the right word) I've been having trouble with software which doesn't want to run b/c it's running on open-jre. I would really like to get this software running.

Thanks guys
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

Re: Best way to setup JDK

On Debian Linux you'd install it through your package manager of choice. To make it the default Java you would use update-alternatives.

I tend to do something like this, after install SUN/Oracle Java 6:
    Code:
    for i in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/* ; do sudo update-alternatives --config "$i"; done
    Note that update-alternatives is a Debian & derivatives tool, it may not be available/work on Fedora, SUSE etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have no JDK simply install SUN/Oracle JDK with plugin from the Partner repository.

Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
    After that you will have a JRE, JDK, browser plugin, and fonts.

Easy.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    Read about three websites already which tell me to install jre and jdk, then tell me to edit files which are in folders which don't even exist??? Can someone walk me through default setup of jre and jdk?

Can you also tell me how to set the computer up, so that when ever it get's updates for openjdk, it doesn't uninstall sun-java6-jdk? Because in some past distros, I've installed sun-java6-jre and the system would uninstall it and use open-jdk instead.

Lastly I want to make sun my default java (player??? LOL, if that's the right word) I've been having trouble with software which doesn't want to run b/c it's running on open-jre. I would really like to get this software running.

Thanks guys
    i have written a tutorial on setting up jdk and jre on ubuntu....see if it helps.....
    http://maitnoobsatwork.blogspot.com/...a-runtime.html
    This too shall pass!