Thread: re-install with no internet connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

re-install with no internet connection

I'm planning to reinstall Ubuntu 10.04.2 the only problem is I wont have any Internet connection as I connect via wireless, I know it's good to be connected while installing - but is it necessary?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: re-install with no internet connection

It's not necessary.

If you're connected while installing, Ubuntu will download and install updates for you. I think there might also be some device drivers that aren't included on the install cd which you won't be able to get until you have an internet connection, but for most computers that shouldn't be an issue.

The one thing I'd do is make sure you have your wireless card driver. If you didn't have to take any extra steps (such as installing a restricted driver for the card) then it's a safe bet it's on the cd. If you did need to install a restricted driver, it may still be on the cd, but it would be worthwhile to make sure you have that on hand to avoid trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No, it is not necessary. An advantage of being connected during the installation, besides being able to install updates and non-free software, is that your internet connection will be automatically configured.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Legeril View Post
    I'm planning to reinstall Ubuntu 10.04.2 the only problem is I wont have any Internet connection as I connect via wireless, I know it's good to be connected while installing - but is it necessary?
    Not a must but as you said, it's good

While you are on the Live Session (Trying Ubuntu from a LiveCD or LiveUSB), try to connect to the internet via the wireless connection. If Ubuntu will detect your Wireless Adapter then why not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Its not must ..but its better if you could connect to internet while installing for the sake of downloading some propriety/restricted drivers...
    My blogs...

Computer Tips and Tricks: http://www.computerandyou.net/
    Open Source Blog: http://itsfoss.com/