Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: root file system undefined

Beans

root file system undefined

When I bought my computer it had Windows vista installed. I erased it and installed Windows XP. My sytem got crushed by a virus, hence I installed ubuntu 8.04. For possible fear of destroying my systems, I installed ubuntu 11.04 desktop edition alongside Ubuntu 8.04, but without defining the root file system. I am afraid I have erased OS's on my computer too many times.

May you please advise me on what to do to have the root file system defined.

Beans

Re: root file system undefined

Quote Originally Posted by Chelovek View Post
    When I bought my computer it had Windows vista installed. I erased it and installed Windows XP. My sytem got crushed by a virus, hence I installed ubuntu 8.04. For possible fear of destroying my systems, I installed ubuntu 11.04 desktop edition alongside Ubuntu 8.04, but without defining the root file system. I am afraid I have erased OS's on my computer too many times.

May you please advise me on what to do to have the root file system defined.

you mean you receive an error message when trying to boot ? if so is it with both versions in your dual boot

you could

mount an appropriate partition as /

however that should of been done during install ?

maybe i am not understanding your question ?
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

I mean 11.04 is installed already, but without the root system. there is an X on the root folder.
    By the way, can erasing both 8.04 and 11.04 and reinstalling 11.04 be dangerous for my system?
    Last edited by Chelovek; July 26th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I mean 11.04 is installed already, but without the root system. there is an X on the root folder
    I think that means it is locked IE no access at all.
    Possibly the only way around this is to reinstall to the same partition without formatting and this time remembering to set the '/' root.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I mean 11.04 is installed already, but without the root system. there is an X on the root folder.
    I think you are muddling different usages of the word "root". If you have installed Ubuntu, you will have a filesystem in the "root" partition. This is quite different from the root user and the /root folder, which is root's (user) home folder. And it's normal to have an X showing on the root folder in a normal system when you view the filesystem in a nautilus browser as an ordinary user. That's because you have to be root (user) to be able to open the /root folder.

Please describe exactly what your problem is. Can you boot into Ubuntu 11.04, or are you getting an error message?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

my problem is when trying to mount the matlab ISO file for installation I get this message:
    only root can do that

Beans

[QUOTE=Chelovek;11087524]my problem is when trying to mount the matlab ISO file for installation I get this message:
    only root can do that
    thats why I thought maybe I didnt define /root system

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

[QUOTE=Chelovek;11087530]
    my problem is when trying to mount the matlab ISO file for installation I get this message:
    only root can do that
    thats why I thought maybe I didnt define /root system
    You need root (user) privileges to do whatever you're trying to do. This has nothing to do with other meanings of the word root. Tell us what you are trying to do and then someone can give you the right commands.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

no, thats mean you need to be root : eg use "sudo"

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

and your install should be something like:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...28&postcount=2

Beans

I want to install matlabR2009a on ubuntu 11.04