Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best solution for Gmail backup?

Beans

Re: Best solution for Gmail backup?

First of all, you can use an email client (like Evolution) to download all email for offline viewing (through IMAP, no need to bother with outdated and limited POP).

However, I'd recommend spending a day to learn how to configure fetchmail for use with e.g. mutt. This allows to automatically download all email and store it in a text format where and how you like it (not necessarily for use with mutt, but anything).

Beans

Re: Best solution for Gmail backup?

All of my mail is now stored on my private atom-server, accesible by imap from other machines. Solution very similar to one explained below:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/POP3Aggregator

And there is brand new, stupid question about gmail forwarding/redirecting. Supposing I want to receive emails larger than gmail's size limit - is there a way to redirect mails to my private server [I know that I would need to install another app], so that it isn't blocked on gmail server because of its size? I've looked at gmail settings tabs, but there seems to be only forwarding (will it work for that purpose?) ...and changing google DNS MX records for my mail alias is probably impossible...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12