Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never ending installation

Beans

Exclamation Can't reach installer screen

I've never installed Ubuntu on any machine before and I'm a bit of a novice. So I'm installing it on an old Toshiba laptop that was running XP. It wouldn't automatically boot from CD so I held F12 and selected the boot from CD option and the next screen is all black with

[ 0.124007] [<c1..........>] ? ..........................

covering the entire screen where the left column of dots are number changing very fast and the right column is word commands like show_trace 000x452 (It's changing very fast and I cant really see what it say's, it's just to give you an idea)

It's been like this for about half an hour so I'm assuming nothing is really happening but then again I really haven't a clue.

EDIT: I just took a picture. It's probably a lot clearer than this explanation

IMG_2500 by C.P. O'Donnell, on Flickr

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cillian
    Last edited by afrocod; July 25th, 2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: adding image

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Can't reach installer screen

Do these texts stop here (in your photo) or do they keep rolling on and on?
    I see two possibilities...
    One. The video system on your computer is incorrect. Generally you don't see this stuff. It's in the background "covered" by a purple screen with orange dots rolling on it.
    Two. The disk or the ISO file is corrupt. Try burning at the slowest speed possible and, if that doesn't solve it, try re-downloading the ISO file.
    Alternatively, to check whether this is an isolated case, try downloading another distro and see whether you get some graphics instead of this.
    I support SOPA and I dare say it.

Beans

Re: Can't reach installer screen

They keep rolling on and on. I can't even read them, the camera was just quick enough to catch it.

I'm unsure how to check or fix you first scenario but I will go try and burn the iso at the slowest speed and see what happens.

I'm also unfamiliar with the term distro. Could you explain?

Quote Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
    Do these texts stop here (in your photo) or do they keep rolling on and on?
    I see two possibilities...
    One. The video system on your computer is incorrect. Generally you don't see this stuff. It's in the background "covered" by a purple screen with orange dots rolling on it.
    Two. The disk or the ISO file is corrupt. Try burning at the slowest speed possible and, if that doesn't solve it, try re-downloading the ISO file.
    Alternatively, to check whether this is an isolated case, try downloading another distro and see whether you get some graphics instead of this.

Beans

Re: Never ending installation

@3602 So I burned it at the slowest speed on a different laptop just in case and it's the same old story the only difference is the 0.124007 has changed to 0.120006 (I'm not sure what is useless information and what is not so I'm just trying to list everything).

Also when I insert the CD when XP has already booted and on the desktop it starts just fine with the proper Ubuntu graphical interface appearing and telling me I need to reboot and install. Also I've checked the contents and all the folders and files are present so I assume that means it is not corrupted.

Thanks for the response by the way, I thought the post was going to slip away into the abyss there for a second.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK. If you insert the CD with XP running, you might be booting Wubi and other bad news.
    Other than that, distros. Try Fedora. If you have many blank disks lying around... Since you're running on CDs you can't try Suse, that needs a 4.7GB DVD. Try Mandriva too. If one of these distros can boot into beautiful graphics, then... I'm not sure. If none of these would boot into graphics then I'm not sure either...
    I see you have Toshi there. They have the worst Linux support (apparently) but should not have this problem. What is your graphics card/chipset?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You did burn the ISO as an image to the disk didn't you? And not just copy the file?
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans

@Miljet Yes I definitely burned it and not just copied the files. I'm 100% sure of that.

@3602 Sorry we live in different timezones. I'm just up now, so I'll go check those distros and see what happens

As for graphics card, chipset. Well if that was going to be a problem, then I bet that's the problem. It's a terribly old laptop that I was just going to throw away. Intel pentium 4 and some very old ATI graphics card which I can't find the spec's for. I was going to give it a new lease of life by putting linux on it but maybe it's not an option.

Thanks for all your help.

EDIT- Just found the specs and they really are terrible. 2.8ghz pentium 4, 192mb ram, ATI Mobility Radeon 7000 IGP. So am I screwed...
    Last edited by afrocod; July 26th, 2011 at 01:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's OK. I'm just up.
    Yeah. OK, you have some vintage specs. Although you should think about upgrading your RAM a bit, that's too little for a P4.
    Now, when you get yourself 256 or 512 maybe, try Lubuntu. It's a very light fork of Ubuntu suitable for such more aged computers.
    If you run into problems with Lubuntu you can always come back here.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

follow this little help for installation:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...28&postcount=2

Beans

Lubuntu it is. I don't know if I will upgrade it, I've got a nice macbook pro all spec'd out. This is just an old laptop I was going to throw out and I thought it might be nice to throw linux on it. Anyway thanks for all the help. Your a gentleman.

Dino that guide just zoomed straight over my head.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast