Thread: Tried OSx--back to linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tried OSx--back to linux

So my main home box is aging somewhat (it a 4 or 5 year old Dell 530s which still runs any distro that doesn't have strigi running just fine), and I think the motherboard is dying, so I was thinking about something new, and of course it would generally be a DIY build of cheap generic parts (my secondary box is a 3 year old AMD rig I built for $275 that does anything you ask except heavy video stuff, which we don't do anyway.)

Now my wife has gotten an ipad and is love with Apple, and keeps harping on it. I have to admit, at first my main aversion was cost, but I thought it was worth checking out. After all, I loved my Apple IIc back in the day. Which was the last time I used one.

So I thought I'd be fair and give it a shot. But how? No live CD's, and I can't take a loaner home to try (though with the prices you should).

So I made a Hackintosh on a USB stick. That was fun.

My impressions: Yes it's very nice and polished. I'm sure if you weren't cobbling together kexts, it would all "just work" (though it really wasn't too bad--about like your first Arch install--just read a lot and you'll be fine if your hardware is willing. And the applications are very nice, though I still can't figure out why my wife thinks that the photo management is so much better.

However I couldn't stand the restrictiveness of it. You can't modify the desktop, I don't like the dock and the separate menu bars. No activity panel. And all the things I don't like about gnome, but that are easy to modify in linux can't be changed-or at least not obviously.

Then there is the constant asking for registration, names, address, and credit card information. In itunes, you have to give them your credit card to register! Yes there is a way around it, but man it's not obvious.

It just got so oppressive, way more than Windows (which I last used regularly in 2007 when Vista pushed me away to Ubuntu)

Now I've never been a big FSF guy, it's more the community of linux that drew me in, but that experience was an eye opener.

And here I was upset at Canonical for all the recent shenanigans, (no Natty for me, sticking with 10.10, and crunchbang statler)

If Google is big brother, Apple is like your mother when you were in kindergarten.

Makes me want to fire up a Tor exit node.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”--Oscar Wilde

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Tried OSx--back to linux

Isn't installing OSX on non-Apple hardware against their EULA?

Thread closed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog