Thread: FTP Breaks with outbound connection

Beans

FTP Breaks with outbound connection

I'm sending files to a remote server by way of FTP via a PHP script. With the firewall turned on these files are getting to the remote server with 0kb and the remote server is timing out before all the files are received. When the firewall is turned off the all files are received in tact. There are no outbound rules set in the iptables, looking for ideas on what to check next. Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: FTP Breaks with outbound connection

Looks like a fireall problem to me, check the difference between Passive & Active ftp server...but again, I could be wrong but I'd def start from there.

** My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by e79 View Post
    Looks like a fireall problem to me, check the difference between Passive & Active ftp server...but again, I could be wrong but I'd def start from there.
    I used "quote pasv" and no joy, but I'm I've read on the Internet that might not work on the sending end.

Thanks for the reply,

Beans

Can somebody tell me-- when an outgoing ftp connection is made is it port 21 from the sending server? Reason I ask is although there are no outgoing rules in my iptables, I do have this port closed for an incoming connection. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

depends on your firewall rules - do you use ufw or own rules? As normally you block in a firewall setup everything and only allow the ports which get used.