Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

Quote Originally Posted by matbonucci View Post
    i played 1080p mkv's videos on windows and they played flawless even connected to a tv through hdmi but with ubuntu the video freezes i've tried fglrx but same problem and it was kinda slow and no suspend, now i'm using open source (also tried xorg-edgers) and the system is faster and it suspend but wont play mkv's

i have to resign to only play mkvs on windows? somebody has this same problem? did you found any solution?
    I don't think it's a display driver issue, it's more about using an optimized decoder.

How I made it work:
    1. Enable the multiverse repository in the Software Sources
    2. Add the PPA for CoreAVC (sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ripps818/coreavc) and update
    3. Install mplayer2
    4. Install umplayer
    6. Setup UMplayer performance options to use two threads and skip the loop filter on HD video only.
    6. Set Jupiter or other CPU throttle to maximum performance
    7. Enjoy smooth 720p and decent 1080p in UMplayer.
    The latter software has the bonus of searching and playing Youtube videos. I found it was the only way to view HD Youtube on the Acer.

Cheers!
    Last edited by LewisTM; January 30th, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Added the CoreAVC reference
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Fo2adZz View Post
    I really want to thank everyone for the valuable information it helped alot. I have an Acer 722 with APU C-50 and yesterday I updated the BIOS using windows 7 to the latest 1.07, and then I installed ubuntu 11.10 and now i dont need to set the network to boot first in the BIOS and there is no lockups or freezes.
    I've updated bios to 1.07 and problem still occur. I've got c-60, like LewisTM and maybe this is problem, or maybe installing ubuntu after bios upgrade. Don't know it yet . Anyway please tell me: do you have restricted or open broadcom drivers?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goldup View Post
    I've updated bios to 1.07 and problem still occur. I've got c-60, like LewisTM and maybe this is problem, or maybe installing ubuntu after bios upgrade. Don't know it yet . Anyway please tell me: do you have restricted or open broadcom drivers?
    I have installed the restricted broadcom drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Acer Aspire One 722 Ubuntu 11.04 fixes

hi ao722-folks,

i just jumped on board of the ao722-ship (C60-model) after really being frustrated with the bad quality of the asus 1215b (but where ubuntu 11.10 worked out of the box without any hazzles admittedly).

i've found this thread quite useful altough i was really unsure what of zzarko's carefully described fixes is necessary with ubuntu 11.10.
    xterminus points out some good ones in his post (77) but i did not get what he meant by '8. Power regression notes for grub were a good idea.'. can anybody explain maybe?

since i already had installed the os on my ssd through the other netbook and didn't want to go though all the customizing again i found that i have to set the network boot option before the internal disk in the bios boot-order dialogue (and of course enable network booting there as well).
    i also flashed the latest bios (v1.08 link ) but that didn't change anything in this matter.

i had access to a 8gb 204-pin ddr3 ram-bar but running memtest86+ with it throwed errors around 7851mb, not sure if the bios can't handle 8gb (as stated by asus) or if there is possibly a defect within the ram. system was running fine though with 8gb installed but i did not use all of the available memory and switched back to 4gb instead as i could not cross-check the ram with another machine.

since some compiz features are really useful to me i have a hard time deciding between using the proprietary drivers (as currently the case) and missing hibernation (standby works fine!) and using the open source drivers that seem to allow hibernate *sigh*.

one thing i did not get was if it would make any sense to use jupiter together with the proprietary ati fglrx drivers, can anybody give me a hint here please?

everything else seems to work fine, looking forward to diving deeper into the world of running a netbook running ubuntu.

a wiki page for the ao722 would make sense in my opinion, did anybody already start with creating one? please share the link if so... did't find any yet...

oh, and of course thanks for all the good hints!
    cheers,
    anti
    Last edited by antiplex; January 19th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by antiplex View Post
    i've found this thread quite useful altough i was really unsure what of zzarko's carefully described fixes is necessary with ubuntu 11.10.
    xterminus points out some good ones in his post (77) but i did not get what he meant by '8. Power regression notes for grub were a good idea.'. can anybody explain maybe?
    He probably mentioned #8 fix from first post (kernel power regression). As far as I know, this should be fixed in upcoming 3.3 kernel:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA0MTM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by antiplex View Post
    a wiki page for the ao722 would make sense in my opinion, did anybody already start with creating one? please share the link if so... did't find any yet...
    There is one that covers both the Acer 522 and 722. It might need updating by some dedicated soul

The consensus seems to be: 'Use the ATI open source driver'. It performs well, Compiz works OK with it. Not that I use compiz, xfwm4 is still way faster and doesn't require as much power.

Cheers!
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LewisTM View Post
    There is one that covers both the Acer 522 and 722. It might need updating by some dedicated soul

The consensus seems to be: 'Use the ATI open source driver'.
    I agree with everything, and I use the open source driver myself (AO522 C-50, 2GB RAM). With those drivers I can play videos at acceptable quality and show them on a tv screen with the HDMI cable. (Although some really high-quality videos play bumpy at times.)

Wiki page: I have contributed a few bits to it already, but more work needs to be done and a nice table summary added at the beginning, similarly to this template. Also, I think we should change the title of the wiki page to be 522/722 neutral. Possibly "Acer Netbooks with AMD C-Series processors" (too long and not convenient to remember... just an example).

Another question: have you guys got Bluetooth to work on your 522/722?
    Last edited by r_howie; January 20th, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: amend URL

Beans

Hi guys!
    I just registered on this forum to thank you for these more than usefull AO722 tips. Too bad I didn't find them earlier when I tried Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10, following with Kubuntu, Lubuntu and other Ubuntu based distros. I've found this thread when I had had Mint installed so I'm running Mint 12 Classic at the moment, with all the tips applied from the 1st ZZarko's post, thank you ZZarko again (especially for wifi freeze upon boot trick - bios network boot as the 1st boot choice).

I can also confirm that after bios ver 1.08 network boot doesn't have to be 1st boot choice, nor Broadcom drivers have to be blacklisted any more, at least on my AO722 C-50.

As for bluetooth, it works when windows 7 starter is running first then rebooted and entered Linux, than it's visible after Fn+F3 key.

Questions:
    Two remarks after bios ver 1.08:

1. I think a cooling fan is heard louder than before, but I'm not sure. Although the temperature is the same. Anyone else noticed this issue?

2. The last thing I'm having problem with and it's a big issue for me - I can't wake up from suspend or hibernation, black screen only. I have ati fglrx 11.12 drivers activated.
    Last edited by jazz.h; January 22nd, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.h View Post
    I can also confirm that after bios ver 1.08 network boot doesn't have to be 1st boot choice, nor Broadcom drivers have to be blacklisted any more, at least on my AO722 C-50.
    I downloaded that BIOS, but haven't tested it yet. There is also a custom 1.04 BIOS with unlocked advanced menus, but I haven't tried that either. I hope I will in next few weeks...
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz.h View Post
    2. The last thing I'm having problem with and it's a big issue for me - I can't wake up from suspend or hibernation, black screen only. I have ati fglrx 11.12 drivers activated.
    You'll need to go back to open source radeon driver for suspend or hibernation to work. This is a very old fglrx bug that probably will never be resolved...

Beans

Thank you zzarko, I'll try with radeon driver, since I didn't find any signficant improvements with fglrx, should I just deactivate it, or it's a tricky action?

Regarding the fan, do you happen to know a way to monitor fan speed, I tried system benchmark, conky hwmon fan variable, conky acpifan variable... nothing seems able to measure it?

One more thing, I'm not sure if I should make a separate post for this...

On my dualboot Acer 722 after installation of Mint 12 64bit, I noticed this warning in DiskUtility - "Extended partition misaligned by 1024 bytes!".
    Apparently my WD scorpio blue is advanced format type 4096 kbytes physical sector size.
    I installed "WD Align by Acronis" cause it can align the partitions without data loss, but it says everything is OK when running from windows.
    I also instaled smartmon tools, smart status is fine, I also fixed the load_cycle_count issue, btw...

I read a whole thread about this bug here -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1635018, this post excerpt looks quite comfort to me:
    You do not need to adjust the Linux partitions (/dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7), nor do you need to adjust the extended partition (/dev/sda3), despite the fact that its starting sector number is not a multiple of 8; the extended partition is just a placeholder for the logical partitions it contains, and it's their alignment that's important, not the extended partition itself.
    Should I be worried or not, cause it's just extended partition in stake?
    I didn't notice any slowdown in Mint though, nor some malfunctions in everyday work...

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast