Thread: Tunnel Xcode over SSH to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Tunnel Xcode over SSH to Ubuntu

Is it possible to tunnel Xcode over SSH (or another protocol) to an Ubuntu box? I have successfully launched xterm from a Mac OS X box (and had it spawn xeyes, xcalc, etc) and had it display on the Ubuntu box, but upon launching Xcode, it displays on the Mac's display, not Ubuntu's display. I believe Mac OS X uses a different display manger (though they do include X), so SSH might not work.

Cipherboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Tunnel Xcode over SSH to Ubuntu

I think you will need a full remote desktop session (i.e. VNC / Screenshare) to run the native mac apps. You should be able to tunnel GUI apps that you install through macports (because they use X11).

Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    Is it possible to tunnel Xcode over SSH (or another protocol) to an Ubuntu box? I have successfully launched xterm from a Mac OS X box (and had it spawn xeyes, xcalc, etc) and had it display on the Ubuntu box, but upon launching Xcode, it displays on the Mac's display, not Ubuntu's display. I believe Mac OS X uses a different display manger (though they do include X), so SSH might not work.

Cipherboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Tunnel Xcode over SSH to Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    Is it possible to tunnel Xcode over SSH (or another protocol) to an Ubuntu box?
    I don't think so. Native Mac OS X applications such as XCode use Apple's own framework called "Cocoa" and not the more traditional X11 protocol. You won't be able to tunnel that through SSH using e.g. the "-X" flag.

What you could do is to use e.g. TeamViewer:

www.teamviewer.com

They have packages for Linux, Mac and Windows and it's totally easy to use. Non-commercial / hobbyist use is free.