Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Sounds like you need to do the gptsync from refit. If that doesnt work do the gdisk as described earlier in this thread.

Beans
    Distro

@chaffin Yeah you're right--I wasted 30 min trying to figure out what wasn't working--looks like the old version has a different conf type. Anyway, to others who want to play with it:
    Code:
    wget http://touchegg.googlecode.com/files/touchegg-1.0.tar.gz
    tar xzvf touchegg-1.0.tar.gz
    cd touchegg-1.0
    sudo aptitude install build-essential checkinstall fakeroot libqt4-dev utouch libx11-6 libxtst-dev
    qmake
    make -j2
    fakeroot checkinstall -yD make install
    mv touchegg_1.0-1_amd64.deb ..
    cd ..
    sudo dpkg -i touchegg_1.0-1_amd64.deb
    It actually works with compiz 3d for me....sometimes. And when it crashes, it seems to crash hard enough to warrant a lightdm restart.

I'm sticking with mtrack for now but touchegg definitely has potential to be the best. I just can't give up these pretty 3d effects.

BTW, to run it you can just use:
    Code:
     while :;do touchegg;done
    to workaround the weird startup problem.

Anyway, I added the build code to the post-install-oneiric.sh script if anyone wants to try it out.
    Last edited by dfacto; September 19th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Sounds like you need to do the gptsync from refit. If that doesnt work do the gdisk as described earlier in this thread.
    no dice with gptsync

I'm out of ideas - I'll do a total OSX recover & start from scratch

Beans
    Distro

hueythecat, you *REALLY* need to be more specific. what EXACTLY doesn't work. what EXACTLY is the message. my crystal ball is in the other room!

read the old posts. I still have a hunch gdisk will fix things for you. you can install it from the live usb session.

Beans

hueythecat, you *REALLY* need to be more specific. what EXACTLY doesn't work. what EXACTLY is the message. my crystal ball is in the other room!
    +1

In addition, information on your current partitions and boot loader setup may be useful. To that end, I recommend downloading and running the Boot Info Script. You'll need to run it from the Ubuntu install CD in its "try it now" mode. It will produce a file called RESULTS.txt. Post it here, either as an attachment or between [code] and [/code] tags. This script might not produce all the diagnostic data that's important, but it should produce enough to serve as a starting point.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

read the old posts. I still have a hunch gdisk will fix things for you. you can install it from the live usb session.

My apologies if I came across as vague.

After install & resyncing the MBR my system would not make it to grub - it just went to a black screen with flashing cursor forever.

At some stage I'm guessing I installed grub to the wrong partition. And failed from that point forwards.

After doing a total rebuild from scratch I've successfully installed.

On a side note (if you manage to delete your Lion recovery partition) - The internet recovery ONLY works if your wifi is WPA/WPA2 encrypted. So if your connected via open wifi it appears like its taking forever instead of informing you of the latter.

Beans

Also

I've run fix-i915.sh post install & it does not appear to resolve the resolution.(though no issues with installation)
    I double checked a post regarding copying the i915.ko but this was in the correct location.

i.e. I can only boot if i use nomodeset

Am I the only 4,1 11" user here?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hueythecat View Post
    Also

I've run fix-i915.sh post install & it does not appear to resolve the resolution.(though no issues with installation)
    I double checked a post regarding copying the i915.ko but this was in the correct location.

i.e. I can only boot if i use nomodeset

Am I the only 4,1 11" user here?
    First:
    1) Can you tell me if bluetooth is working (icon next to wifi?)?
    2) Does the fn+up fn+dn give pageup pagedown?
    3) Can you right-click when you use two-finger click?

Next:
    Are you using the most recent fix-i915.sh? It should have a comment at the top that reads:
    # Sun Sep 18 00:55:17 EDT 2011 - MBA4,1 Panel-type code
    Also the most recent post-install-oneiric.sh has the comment:
    # Mon Sep 19 00:53:49 EDT 2011 - code to build touchegg

Now, I need some information. Run the following commands and post-back.
    Code:
    uname -a
    cat /etc/issue
    cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name
    sudo get-edid 2>/dev/null|strings -5
    You may need to install get-edid if the command is unavailable.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install read-edid

Beans

First off, Thanks for all your work Defacto (and everyone else) for working on this!

A few weeks ago I got a new MBA 13" (4,2). Panel is LP133WP1-TJA3.

I installed Natty after some partitioning hell, and ran fix-i915 & post-install-natty. Got proper graphics, touchpad, bluetooth, etc.

A few days ago I decided to reinstall because I'm doing a triple-boot scheme, and now neither script works properly with natty any longer. I assumed I did something wrong, so I tried again, and again. I've done so much screwing around that I'm sure I've got the install in a screwed up state so troubleshooting is silly without yet another fresh install. I don't have all the output when it failed but I did copy down a few:

Code:
    fix-i915.sh: line 80: cd: linux-2.6.38/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/: No such file or directory
    Code:
    patching file intel_bios.c
    Hunk #1 FAILED at 175.
    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file intel_bios.c.rej
    I wanted to let you know that it appears broken for natty, and also to ask if in your opinion running oneiric is stable enough to use as a primary machine right now. If so, I'll just go that route rather than trying to screw with installing natty yet again.

Thanks!

-Phil
    Last edited by ingineer; September 20th, 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@ingineer Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I'm not surprised you had problems with Natty. I sort of forgot that people would be using fix-i915.sh on Natty.

That script is basically a hack on top of a hack. I suspect it will only work for 3.0.0-10 and 3.0.0-11 because these are the kernels I wrote it for.

Because of this issue you raised, I would recommend to all MBA4 owners to just go ahead and use Oneiric. There are a few random crashes, but for the most part its stable. Occasionally unity acts weird, but in http://almostsure.com/mba42/ you will find a kick-unity script that can be run from a TTY to restart Unity (without having to logout). This is nice because none of running windows are closed.

You can still probably make Natty work. The best would be to make sure the kernel is newest (reboot to activate it) then try fix-i915.sh. If it doesn't work (ie the patch is rejected) then you'll probably have to go the Oneiric route.

I think Oneiric is now only three weeks away so its probably a safe bet.

Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast