Page 15 of 93 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 922

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA, USA
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Here is a list of other distributions that we can use to track progress of MBA41/2.



    Please let me know if you find other places to track.

  2. #142

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Here is a list of other distributions that we can use to track progress of MBA41/2.



    Please let me know if you find other places to track.

    Thank you
    - I ONLY HOPE ! Where there is a shell, there is a way -

  3. #143
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    143

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    Let me know if you find a cool decal or something to cover up the apple. All I could find is this.
    That one is actually pretty clever Would be nice in all-white or all-black, though.

    Seems like I wasn't the only one to consider making one? I already went into some depth trying to find some vinyl clear sticker paper that one could print to, but it's either very hard to find or extremely expensive and not very durable. I did find that you can have it made for you by professionals by uploading an artwork file, and you can then have clear stickers with coating made for outdoor use that should last for more than a year in rain and sun - sounds like something that could last a while on an MBA, too

    Anyway, if there are a few of us, the price drops drastically, from like $60 bucks to like $10 or $15 bucks for a large clear durable sticker.

    My thought was an all-black stencil-like Tux eating that apple logo. Not the "cute" tux eating an apple that can be found as a wallpaper online, but more like the classic tux we know from wikipedia etc. redrawn to eat that California fruit somehow. I'm not a designer myself, but I do work with Photoshop and Illustrator occasionally, so my plan is - after my current job project is done and my vacation is over - to start sketching in Illustrator and make this tux. Possibly with a little help from my brother who's lead designer in a very large design company.

    I'll make sure to throw the results in here and check if any of you like it and want to pitch in to have him made as stickers professionally to bring down the price

    Cheerio,
    Daniel

    PS: While waiting for drivers to advance, I'm making great progress in making Mac OS X suck less. Some tips:
    • Get LiteSwitch X for a better Cmd+Tab among other things
    • AND/OR get Witch to create a much better Alt+Tab like the rest of the world uses it.
    • Get Path Finder as a better alternative to that horrible, horrible Finder
    • Go to mission controls in sysprefs and have a look at the three checkboxes
    • Get DoubleCommand to fix Home/End buttons among other things
    • Get RightZoom to fix the broken maximize buttons on windows
    • Discover the Keyboard pane in sysprefs to first make the F keys behave normally, then create better shortcuts to get back F3 for searching, F2 and F10 to rename and create folders in Path Finder etc.
    • Fix Terminal using a .bashrc from ubuntu and redefine keys in settings (unfortunately, when doublecommand makes home and end work in every other application, getting them to work in terminal seems impossible). Also, install SIMBL and MouseTerm to get mouse scrolling in terminal.
    • Get homebrew "package manager" to easily install wget etc.


    There are more tips... I'm hoping to throw together a howto eventually on how to make OS X stop sucking, but let's see if I can find the time In general, I'm flabbergasted that people seriously consider this OS as something a usability person should look to for inspiration. It's a usability NIGHTMARE akin to having rubberbands around your fingers while typing. No concistency, no logic, loads of pitfalls and annoyances. But there are still serious qualities once you get the worst bull fixed

  4. #144

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBuus View Post
    That one is actually pretty clever Would be nice in all-white or all-black, though.

    Seems like I wasn't the only one to consider making one? I already went into some depth trying to find some vinyl clear sticker paper that one could print to, but it's either very hard to find or extremely expensive and not very durable. I did find that you can have it made for you by professionals by uploading an artwork file, and you can then have clear stickers with coating made for outdoor use that should last for more than a year in rain and sun - sounds like something that could last a while on an MBA, too

    Anyway, if there are a few of us, the price drops drastically, from like $60 bucks to like $10 or $15 bucks for a large clear durable sticker.

    My thought was an all-black stencil-like Tux eating that apple logo. Not the "cute" tux eating an apple that can be found as a wallpaper online, but more like the classic tux we know from wikipedia etc. redrawn to eat that California fruit somehow. I'm not a designer myself, but I do work with Photoshop and Illustrator occasionally, so my plan is - after my current job project is done and my vacation is over - to start sketching in Illustrator and make this tux. Possibly with a little help from my brother who's lead designer in a very large design company.

    I'll make sure to throw the results in here and check if any of you like it and want to pitch in to have him made as stickers professionally to bring down the price

    Cheerio,
    Daniel

    PS: While waiting for drivers to advance, I'm making great progress in making Mac OS X suck less. Some tips:
    • Get LiteSwitch X for a better Cmd+Tab among other things
    • AND/OR get Witch to create a much better Alt+Tab like the rest of the world uses it.
    • Get Path Finder as a better alternative to that horrible, horrible Finder
    • Go to mission controls in sysprefs and have a look at the three checkboxes
    • Get DoubleCommand to fix Home/End buttons among other things
    • Get RightZoom to fix the broken maximize buttons on windows
    • Discover the Keyboard pane in sysprefs to first make the F keys behave normally, then create better shortcuts to get back F3 for searching, F2 and F10 to rename and create folders in Path Finder etc.
    • Fix Terminal using a .bashrc from ubuntu and redefine keys in settings (unfortunately, when doublecommand makes home and end work in every other application, getting them to work in terminal seems impossible). Also, install SIMBL and MouseTerm to get mouse scrolling in terminal.
    • Get homebrew "package manager" to easily install wget etc.


    There are more tips... I'm hoping to throw together a howto eventually on how to make OS X stop sucking, but let's see if I can find the time In general, I'm flabbergasted that people seriously consider this OS as something a usability person should look to for inspiration. It's a usability NIGHTMARE akin to having rubberbands around your fingers while typing. No concistency, no logic, loads of pitfalls and annoyances. But there are still serious qualities once you get the worst bull fixed



    Throw the results in here when you are done then lol Tux eating apple logo ! heheh. Nice Idea. I know there is already "android eating apple logo " out there ...

    See the attachment.
    It is a bit violent, though I try my best not to glorify the violence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - I ONLY HOPE ! Where there is a shell, there is a way -

  5. #145
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    143

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
    Throw the results in here when you are done then lol Tux eating apple logo ! heheh. Nice Idea. I know there is already "android eating apple logo " out there ...

    See the attachment.
    It is a bit violent, though I try my best not to glorify the violence.
    Yeah, I love that one Android is soooo much better than that iOS crap. Fun to watch the latest keynote with the advancements in iOS5 and listen to the religious fanboys go wrorooooohooooh when Steve showed off functionality copied from Android

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    11

    Thumbs down Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
    lol Tux eating apple logo ! heheh. Nice Idea.
    How can they sell computers without an installation media?

    I'd much prefer a sticker to hide their ugly logo.

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alnilam
    Beans
    310
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
    Fantastic ! and THANK YOU.

    If I get the graphic card installed, I will celebrate by destroying the apple logo on back of my MacBookAir lol I PROMISES. WILL send the picture to you all !
    The GNU head is always one of my favorites

    http://shop.fsf.org/product/super-st...ga-multi-pack/

  8. #148

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by daveMustane View Post
    How can they sell computers without an installation media?

    I'd much prefer a sticker to hide their ugly logo.
    If you HATE apple that much then why don't you go and buy " samsung 9 series "

    IT IS ALMOST the same as Air " Hardware + thickness , and etc ". Even the graphic card is the same. I have to say Air is a bit more well designed ! specially the keyboard. I really like the feel of the keyboard ! it is amazing. But, if you do hate apple THAT much... I would say get Samsung instead

    No news for fixing the graphic driver bug yet ... AAAhhhh ....
    - I ONLY HOPE ! Where there is a shell, there is a way -

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    11

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Quote Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
    If you HATE apple that much then why don't you go and buy " samsung 9 series "
    I've been using using a 2010 MBA with Ubuntu as my main mobile machine for eight month and it was good. The 2010 MBA did however come with an installer stick. And I sure needed it one day, because sometimes things break and you want to fix them.

    So why would anyone sell a computer without an installer disk (or USB stick)? To save a $1? Maybe, but I'm not convinced. I'd really like to understand why this decission was made. It appears awfull and arrogant. Yes, I really, badly dislike their attitude. But mainly because, for some reason, they seem to dislike me (and you).

    Also, I'm sure the Samsung is made of plastic.

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA, USA
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

    Actually the new Apple's are supposed to support internet re-installs from EFI. Many would argue I'm nuts, but I actually think this is safer (assuming you can't somehow bork that part of the firmware). This way, any reinstall automatically has all the latest security patches....

    Anyway, I'm all for Apple bashing but BIOS really is pretty crappy.

    Also, the Samsung chassis is not 100% duralumin--it has significant plastic and does not give me the impression of durability (whether it is or isn't I'm not referring to, just my impressions).

Page 15 of 93 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •