Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Gnome3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Help with Gnome3

Hello, I've been using Ubuntu since 10.04, but consider myself a beginner since I rely on websites and forums to find what I need.

I'm currently using 11.04 and got tired of Unity so I followed some instructions for installing Gnome3 and now I'm having some problems. I looked for solutions to my current problems and can't find them.

First, I hate the default theme, I don't know if it's supposed to be like this, or if my installation just went wrong, but it looks like only a small step above Windows 2000. Also the login screen is bad. I tried to use the gnome-tweak tool but Nautilus won't let me unzip any themes I download to the required folder and it won't let me change the Permissions in the Properties menu.

My second problem is that I can't install Nautilus Elementary. I've gone through the installation steps multiple times, restart Nautilus, and hitting f4 doesn't do anything. Also the "about" screen says Nautilus 3.0.2

It would be awesome if I could get these things fixed so I can move on to customizing my system

Beans
    Distro

Re: Help with Gnome3

I just tried installing Gnome3 again and the theme has fixed itself. I'm still having the problems with Nautilus though.

Beans
    Distro

Last edited by robertc36; July 21st, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
    'Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?'

Beans
    Distro

Yes that's what I was trying to use. None of the themes were coming out right and Nautilus wouldn't let me put new themes in the folder that Gnome Tweak uses. I was able to change the icons with gnome tweak. Now that I have an acceptable theme, Gnome Tweak won't change anything at all. I try to click on different themes and different icons and nothing happens.

I'll take a look at the link you added. It looks like it might fix my problem

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Thank you very much for your help.

My terminal aborts when it asks if i want to continue y/n when i try to remove the accessibility themes, and it just stops and doesn't do anything when it's almost done installing the standard themes. Is this supposed to happen?

I'll try the extension in the last link you sent

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Just checking...you realise that Gnome 3 is in development stage and will have bugs, and that you will have probably broken Unity installing it. Just checking. Hopefully in a release or two's time, it may be fixed or even an option built-in.

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried reloading shell alt+F2 then enter r?
    I have a few issues to begin with but as usual once they are fixed I forget the solution completely.
    I use the extension as I could never get the themes to change properly.
    I have stuck to using Adwaita theme anyway after trying a few.

Beans
    Distro

Also check out this post on features and shortcuts
    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

Beans
    Distro

No I didn't realize that Gnome3 was still in development stage, just from looking at the website and seeing articles on it I figured it was ready to go. I guess I have more to look forward to then I don't mind breaking unity because it just felt awkward navigating through.

I'll have to study that cheat sheat, it looks very useful.

Does anyone know what my problem with Nautilus is? Maybe it is installed but just missing features. I thought it would say Nautilus Elementary in the about screen.
    Last edited by dalexsawyer; July 21st, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast